Clownfish help!!

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frantic male clown with fin damage, a couple white spots. No heaving breathing but darting around and very fast fin movements. Still eating normally. Started about 2 days ago. Now fins looking “whitish” with damage to tail fin. Several white spots/sores on his side.
Female acting normal with no change in behavior or appearance.

A lot of mating behavior this week but no spawning or eggs. The two fish are actually spending more time apart than normal.

They have been together in the tank for over 1 year. No new additions to the tank for ~4 months (fish, coral or inverts). dealing with some hair algae and dinos, but parameters are relatively stable.
Any thoughts?
13A73458-9F04-427D-BF54-34AABD374F45.jpeg
C247A403-E809-470E-85B9-FB383D19111B.jpeg

Female video

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a bit of a hair algae problem…
Also have orchid dottyback and yellow watchman goby. Skunk cleaner shrimp, urchin, brittle star and various snails and hermits.
Tank is a 40 breeder. Set up March, 2020.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male is probably freaked out from whatever attacked him. Could have been the female demanding a divorce or separation. It happens.

When I started reading the first question that came to mind was whether they were still swimming together. Since they aren't that is what I would guess.

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male is probably freaked out from whatever attacked him. Could have been the female demanding a divorce or separation. It happens.

When I started reading the first question that came to mind was whether they were still swimming together. Since they aren't that is what I would guess.
Thanks. I have never seen them “fight”. They still spend most of their time together just not inseparable as they have been for the past year+
White white spots and more white on fins. Any chance of Brook?
I don’t see an overall film on the fish but the spots that don’t look like I have either.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have never seen them “fight”. They still spend most of their time together just not inseparable as they have been for the past year+
White white spots and more white on fins. Any chance of Brook?
I don’t see an overall film on the fish but the spots that don’t look like I have either.
could maybe be ich

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All seems good now, color has returned to the male and he is swimming normally while spending all his time back with the female.

My guess… Along with GHA I am also dealing with Dino’s. Not sure how I have both?? Bottomed out nitrates (=dinos) but very low PO4 (under 0.04). So not sure why GHA.
Regardless, Just before this happened to the clownfish I had cleaned the tank. This included vacuuming the sandbed. I think this stirred up the dinos so that the fish consumed some of the toxic algae. I have had quite a few snails die as well. Enough dinos to make the fish sick, but not enough to kill.

Trying to up nitrates to get dinos in check then deal with GHA. And no cleaning the sandbed for awhile.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back