Clownfish hostility to blenny

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a tailspot blenny for nearly a week in my fluval evo. Been living peacefully along side my clowns until tonight.

blenny is attempting to chomp GHA, around the back wall (where clownfish host.) every time he goes- female clown charges.

I really don’t want it to get bit, but the blenny keeps trying to go for this algae. It doesn’t look afraid of the clown (or even bothered) but the clown keeps trying to bite.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are territorial and a 13 gallon tank doesn’t leave room for creating separate territories. It’s unlikely that the behavior will change in such a small environment. A pair of clowns is really the max for this size tank.

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are territorial and a 13 gallon tank doesn’t leave room for creating separate territories. It’s unlikely that the behavior will change in such a small environment. A pair of clowns is really the max for this size tank.
I had a royal gramma that lived for nearly a year in peace with them. It did however disappear one day

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a royal gramma that lived for nearly a year in peace with them. It did however disappear one day
Clowns become more aggressive as they become sexually mature (which is around 2 years of age). It’s likely they will no longer allow other fish in their territory.

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minutes since posting, blenny has a minor bite on top fin and he is STILL going for the back wall GHA.

I’m gonna see how things are doing tomorrow and may have to return it if continuing

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 minutes since posting, blenny has a minor bite on top fin and he is STILL going for the back wall GHA.

I’m gonna see how things are doing tomorrow and may have to return it if continuing
Maybe offer the blenny some sheet algae away from the clowns to deter it from going to that area. It would likely be a temporary solution, but could help keep it safe for now.

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can create caves for it where it can get away, often i say clowns are last to go in a small tank. some unorthodox methods i have seen include simply taking the clown out of the tank and putting them back in. changing the scape entirely also can help. i have just come to the realization my clowns are A** holes and i accept them for that

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always try removing your clownfish and reintroducing them. It might work but I do suspect your blenny will get the ghost otherwise.

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update couple days later. The clown and blenny are living peacefully. Every now and again it attempts to reach the back wall GSP.

i think it was very much a ‘F around and find out’ type of situation. I’m not sure of the brain power of blennies, but he seems to be getting the hint not to go up there.

This weekend I will manually scrape as much GHA as possible (it likes to prevail). My logic : If it’s not there blenny won’t attempt to go up.
Thanks everyone

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back