Clownfish hosting condy

saltybench

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three clownfish in my tank, and the tomato clown is hellbent on being hosted by my condy. It rubs in it and swims off, doesn’t have any apparent damage. I’ve read conflicting things about if they can host or not? I feed the condy, so I’m not sure if that will matter or not? The other two clowns don’t seem to care about it but the tomato will not leave the thing alone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

When I read your thread title, I first wondered - do they have a tomato clown? Yep! That is one species I know of that will try to host in a Condylactis. I've also seen them host in feather dusters, corals, etc.

I'll leave it up to others to say if this is an issue or not, as I typically don't house Atlantic and Pacific species together (no reason other than our tanks are all set up for specific regions and these animals wouldn't normally be found together). I haven't housed a Condy and a tomato for at least 40 years (grin).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

saltybench

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

When I read your thread title, I first wondered - do they have a tomato clown? Yep! That is one species I know of that will try to host in a Condylactis. I've also seen them host in feather dusters, corals, etc.

I'll leave it up to others to say if this is an issue or not, as I typically don't house Atlantic and Pacific species together (no reason other than our tanks are all set up for specific regions and these animals wouldn't normally be found together). I haven't housed a Condy and a tomato for at least 40 years (grin).

Jay
Thank you for the info! They were given to me for free because a guy at the lfs got mad about a trade in haha. (Welcome additions) i just got btas for the tank too and they all seem to be doing well. The condy doesn’t seem to mind the companionship, and i feed it regularly

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back