Clownfish- intestinal ciliated protozoan

olidaniels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I purchased two clownfish in March. One had intermittent abdominal bloating, over the course of 4 weeks. She then developed full ‘dropsy’ and I had to euthanise her due to inappetance/poor response to treatment (metronidazole bath- as she was not eating). coelomic fluid was devoid of any infectious agents however appeared full of neutrophils (infection fighting cells

the surviving clownfish has been well, growing nicely, eating well and generally being happy. However yesterday I noticed white stringy poos. She is still eating well and behaving normally. I took a stool sample and have some photos.These appear to be ciliated protozoans as they move very fast .

I would be very grateful for thoughts on identification and treatment. I have a reef tank with shrimp and snails. I have a quarantine tank cycled and up and running.

@Humblefish has had some excellent articles so tagged incase you have any ideas? I figured it may be helpful to share these pictures as it may help others in the future.

Values of tank as of tonight
Salinity- 35ppt
Alk - 9.3
Ca- 430
Mg- 1320
Phos- 0.02
Nitrate- 3
Temp- 36.2

49C510C0-0C9E-40CB-A38E-44EBC524290D.jpeg 3C3BB8D7-DA94-49F7-918D-B309137BDCFE.jpeg A4A5FBC5-7967-45FC-8928-5A03515ECA3C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3902.MOV
    6.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PraziPro after a freshwater bath would be a starting point

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the videos posted had audio, but I saw no images.

Are these moving? Can we rule out worm eggs?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General Cure (Metro + Praziquntel) + Focus mixed with food and fed twice a day for 14-21 days helps resolve intestinal parasites and intestinal worms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a "clean catch" on the feces? That is, before it hit the tank bottom and sat there for some time? We need to rule out incidental protozoans. I'll assume it was fresh - my first thought is that is way to many protozoans to be normal gut flora, one or two per field is o.k., but this is a serious infection. Of course, my first thought is Spironucleus/Hexamita flagellates. Try as I might though, I could not see the flagella. That said, I also couldn't see cilia. Spironucleus moves pretty fast, so that would be my best guess.

Metronidazole in the food is one option, but it is very bitter and fish soon learn to not eat it. You tried a metronidazole bath, what was your dose and was it a dip or a whole-tank treatment?

Jay

OP
OP
O

olidaniels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the videos posted had audio, but I saw no images.

Are these moving? Can we rule out worm eggs?

They move very fast. They are also quite agile; able to squeeze between detritus in the slide. Another reason they appeared ciliated to me.

Jay:The numbers indicate it is a true infection as there are thousands, concentrated in the solid parts of the faeces. As above they seemvery agile and very fast which I believe seems to coincide with cillia; however I am no expert.

with regards to the bath- I used a whole tank treatment of praziquantel then a separate treatment of metronidazole (from memory 10mg/L). I’m in the UK. I was planning on adding the metronidazole to gelatin to disguise the taste somewhat.

thanks for the replies so far- I hope to start treatment this evening if possible as I would like to start while they’re still well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move very fast. They are also quite agile; able to squeeze between detritus in the slide. Another reason they appeared ciliated to me.

Jay:The numbers indicate it is a true infection as there are thousands, concentrated in the solid parts of the faeces. As above they seemvery agile and very fast which I believe seems to coincide with cillia; however I am no expert.

with regards to the bath- I used a whole tank treatment of praziquantel then a separate treatment of metronidazole (from memory 10mg/L). I’m in the UK. I was planning on adding the metronidazole to gelatin to disguise the taste somewhat.

thanks for the replies so far- I hope to start treatment this evening if possible as I would like to start while they’re still well.
Noga reports that spironuleus is very fast, and that you need a slowing agent (I use protoslow) to view them well. Let me know if you need a dose for oral metronidazole, and I’ll check my references . I’ve used it as high as 10,000 ppm, but you only feed out a small amount at that dose.
Jay

OP
OP
O

olidaniels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noga reports that spironuleus is very fast, and that you need a slowing agent (I use protoslow) to view them well. Let me know if you need a dose for oral metronidazole, and I’ll check my references . I’ve used it as high as 10,000 ppm, but you only feed out a small amount at that dose.
Jay

That would be very useful to have your dose of metronidazole. I would imagine it will be far more effective to give as a food rather than a bath?
Are there any other treatments you have tried/know of?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be very useful to have your dose of metronidazole. I would imagine it will be far more effective to give as a food rather than a bath?
i checked my copy of noga’s book. He lists a 100 ppm dose in food fed at a rate of 1% of the fish’s body weight each day for 3 days. You would need to estimate the weight of the fish though. He also lists a dose where the fish’s weight isn’t needed: 5 grams metro in 1 kg food fed daily for two days ... you would need to scale that recipe down though!
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back