Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 clown in qt right now they’ve seemed fine, however today I noticed their skin seems to be peeling and there appears to be some growth in the filter as well. Any ideas as to what this can be or how I should treat this? Attached some photos below.

392D3238-8086-4FA1-847D-23BE6CE7370F.jpeg D8AAEEC2-0B71-47AE-8B8C-8EF746FCCD51.jpeg A52A50AF-823C-41F8-A325-E4AC83EE6A20.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are very susceptible to Brooklynella which looks like a mucus sheathing on the fish. It is very deadly and must be treated quickly.

1. Formalin 37% bath for 45 min or Ruby Reef Rally (acroflavin) bath for 90 min
2. Then place in clean quarantine tank and treat the water with Metrodonizole every 48 hrs for 10-14 days.

In the meantime, a 5min freshwater dip will give some relief but will not cure it.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are very susceptible to Brooklynella which looks like a mucus sheathing on the fish. It is very deadly and must be treated quickly.

1. Formalin 37% bath for 45 min or Ruby Reef Rally (acroflavin) bath for 90 min
2. Then place in clean quarantine tank and treat the water with Metrodonizole every 48 hrs for 10-14 days.

In the meantime, a 5min freshwater dip will give some relief but will not cure it.
All I have available as of right now is cupramine , would that work until I can get my hands in the other products you mentioned? How long would a fresh water dip give them?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have available as of right now is cupramine , would that work until I can get my hands in the other products you mentioned? How long would a fresh water dip give them?
I don't really know how long a freshwater dip is going to give relief...it probably more depends on how advanced the disease state currently is at the moment. I would attempt to continue to give the dips until you are able to obtain the meds required. Cupramine is not known to effect Brooklynella.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook is not killed by copper or coppersafe meds. If you have some Chloroquine Phosphate around it will work. Good luck. Get the ruby stuff fast or they will not make it. Brook is no fun at all.

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is your #1 resource & guide to fighting Brooklynella:

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook is not killed by copper or coppersafe meds. If you have some Chloroquine Phosphate around it will work. Good luck. Get the ruby stuff fast or they will not make it. Brook is no fun at all.
I called multiple lfs none had the recommended meds I picked up Paraguard per lfs recommendation stating it was a good substitute for formalin. Anyone have experience with seachem paraguard and Brooke ? It’s all I got until the recommended once gets shipped to me :/

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the dip they looked pretty rough when I put them back in the tank but they have seemed to perk up a bit after some time has pAssed. None of my lfs carry any of the recommended meds I was sold paraguard any experience with that?

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would search far and wide for ruby reef rally and Seachem Metroplex. If you search for each item on google you can click nearby, that's how I found them when I was battling brook. When you do get the medication it's important that they be placed into a new sterile tank after treatment. The big part of fighting brook is the formalin/ruby reef rally, the Metroplex is used as a insurance policy after the initial medication. Running a lower salinity below 1.020 will help the clowns breathe a little easier. Speaking of breathing easier, a bubbler is also great to keep them just a little comfier as they battle brook.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Most similar symptomatically to ich, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable sign of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
There are varying suggestions on how to treat a fish that has been infested with Brooklynella.
Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW dip or bath. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would search far and wide for ruby reef rally and Seachem Metroplex. If you search for each item on google you can click nearby, that's how I found them when I was battling brook. When you do get the medication it's important that they be placed into a new sterile tank after treatment. The big part of fighting brook is the formalin/ruby reef rally, the Metroplex is used as a insurance policy after the initial medication. Running a lower salinity below 1.020 will help the clowns breathe a little easier. Speaking of breathing easier, a bubbler is also great to keep them just a little comfier as they battle brook.
When you say new tank do you mean full water change? I have them in a qt rn with a heater bubbler and pvc pipes with some paraguard.

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say new tank do you mean full water change? I have them in a qt rn with a heater bubbler and pvc pipes with some paraguard.
Pull everything out sanitize it with bleach and put it back together unfortunately. You don't want any lingering stages of brook in the tank after the treatment.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull everything out sanitize it with bleach and put it back together unfortunately. You don't want any lingering stages of brook in the tank after the treatment.
IsNt there any chance the bleach could linger and be toxic to the fish ?

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is, you have to air dry it after for 24-48hrs normally. I've hand dried, aired for a hour and dosed Seachem Prime before in a pinch.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back