Clownfish..love triangle?

Rfeesh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm very new to this forum and wondering if anyone can help. I've had tanks for years (more freshwater than salt,) and have helped a family with usual care on their saltwater tank. It's about a 280-300gal tank and they have 3 clownfish. There's a large black ocellaris who I'm certain is female, and 2 snowflakes, a medium and small(introduced at the same time but not as a pair.) I'm just really curious as to what's going on.
The large black seems to have bonded with the medium snowflake, they hangout in the same area all the time. Then the large black one chases the small snowflake every chance she gets! The small snowflake hides in its "safe space" but the medium snowflake will come to check on it? Then the small clown will head up and nudge it near its pelvic fin and has also done what I think is the "submissive dance," it'll shake vigorously in an area the medium snowflake can see . Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I've heard 3 clowns isn't an ideal number...is there any advice I could give to this family?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !!
I would remove the male clown. They will eventually end up killing the lonely one

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a clownfish harem tank but with three, I don't know, never have more than two in my tank unless it's fry. I'd listen to James. Also, welcome, this is a very warm and friendly form.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish have a very, and I mean VERY sophisticated series of grunts and sounds that allow them to communicate, scare off larger fish 20x their size, and retain a symbiotic anemone relationship.

I don't doubt your situation for a second and I think it's fascinating. I have never seen odd numbers work unless they were siblings or introduced at an extremely young age.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pair per tank is best, they will usually mature, pair off, 3rd wheel gets picked on, maybe killed.

Multiple/harems are juvies at intro, all from same clutch, thats really the only chance for long term success typically.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pair will take over at least part of the tank.

But, in 300 gallons the other clown may be able to escape. Good luck to you and him.

OP
OP
R

Rfeesh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice! Would perhaps adding another clown, closer to the small ones size help? Maybe those 2 could pair up? Or would the large female go after both of them?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to remove one of the males

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back