Clownfish mate lost what now ?

SaltwaterTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clownfish for about 3 years it had a mate and then i got another clownfish and they bonded well no fighting at all . I currently lost this clownfish and now have a female I noticed a change in personality since it’s a lot more shyer it used to come up to the glass during feeding but is more shy. What can I do? Should I get another clownfish?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not even be a mate thing. I noticed that with some fish if you remove another fish other fish will hide. For instance when I worked in a fish store I had a foxface that every time I sold a fish in its tank it would go to its stress camo colors and hide for like a week.

Anyways I think fish know the community they are in and when they lose a fish that is a part of that they may feel threatened.

You could add another clown but there is a chance that they will not pair and the female will kill it. Its happened to me and a friend of mine but most times they get along fine

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had to separate my breeding pair due to aggression. You can see the “ i miss her behavior “ but he’s lucky I let him remain. I gave him a bubble tip which he’s taken on to

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get her a tiny mate. I've seen it first hand. The big girls choose very small mates. I'm going to assume it's her way of maintaining dominance (survival) in the wild.

Thadunc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get her a tiny mate. I've seen it first hand. The big girls choose very small mates. I'm going to assume it's her way of maintaining dominance (survival) in the wild.
So i recently lost my smaller clownfish (He jumped) that was bonded with the bigger female. They are snowflakes, does it matter if the next clownfish is a different type. Such as a cheap regular one?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i recently lost my smaller clownfish (He jumped) that was bonded with the bigger female. They are snowflakes, does it matter if the next clownfish is a different type. Such as a cheap regular one?
It just depends on your female. I'd try it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back