OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, I don’t know what to do anymore. I stopped treatment for a week now. They seemed to do well, started eating no stringy feces. However, the one who was healthy and eating has a sort of whiteness which looks a lot like Brooklynella. He has this since the start of the treatment and still has it. Surely this isn’t brooklynella right? Because he would be dead if he had it since the start. Could it be something else? I put them back in the DT for like 5 minutes then I noticed the white patches and I took them back out instantly. If it turns out to be brooklynella, could my other fish be at risk from those 5 minutes of exposure?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, I don’t know what to do anymore. I stopped treatment for a week now. They seemed to do well, started eating no stringy feces. However, the one who was healthy and eating has a sort of whiteness which looks a lot like Brooklynella. He has this since the start of the treatment and still has it. Surely this isn’t brooklynella right? Because he would be dead if he had it since the start. Could it be something else? I put them back in the DT for like 5 minutes then I noticed the white patches and I took them back out instantly. If it turns out to be brooklynella, could my other fish be at risk from those 5 minutes of exposure?

Can you post a picture and a short video taken under white light?

Jay

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture and a short video taken under white light?

Jay
21145093-AE50-42BA-B894-C7F173DAFA3C.jpeg
807D4777-E29B-423C-8B9A-5BBD818EFE2A.jpeg
79301220-C26A-40FC-A537-C349C2462851.jpeg

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason videos never work for me. The fish seem to swim around normally, not breathing fast or anything.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what looked to be exactly the same issue with a pair of ocellaris clowns however they were black and the white skin/infected areas were very easy to see. I wasn't set up with a QT at the time and lost one of the fish within a couple of days of seeing the skin discoloration. I setup a qt and used the Humblefish method- worked for me. Copper-metro-prazi-prazi-observation. I probably went overboard but I QT'd the sick clown for 3 months and got everything out of the tank and left fallow. The surviving clown seemingly has never been healthier he is a machine. Im no expert but I think mine had velvet or brooklynella.

OP
OP
chemicals

chemicals

Organic Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what looked to be exactly the same issue with a pair of ocellaris clowns however they were black and the white skin/infected areas were very easy to see. I wasn't set up with a QT at the time and lost one of the fish within a couple of days of seeing the skin discoloration. I setup a qt and used the Humblefish method- worked for me. Copper-metro-prazi-prazi-observation. I probably went overboard but I QT'd the sick clown for 3 months and got everything out of the tank and left fallow. The surviving clown seemingly has never been healthier he is a machine. Im no expert but I think mine had velvet or brooklynella.
If it did infect my tank, I do not have the quarantaine capacity to qt all the fish inside.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it did infect my tank, I do not have the quarantaine capacity to qt all the fish inside.
How many fish are you working with? Any expense can obviously be too much but you could setup a 10 or 15g cut some pvc up run it with nothing but floss and this would be relatively low price, maybe you have some stuff laying around. Sounds like a good weekend project.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish are you working with? Any expense can obviously be too much but you could setup a 10 or 15g cut some pvc up run it with nothing but floss and this would be relatively low price, maybe you have some stuff laying around. Sounds like a good weekend project.
Sorry for redundant posts I read back through the thread understand you have been back and forth with qt. Perhaps they are being reinfected or not allowed to fully recover . If it were me I’d work under the assumption that your DT is infected get them all out even if the qt is overcrowded, probably a better chance for all of the fish. If the copper is maintained at therapeutic levels and deworming takes place the fish that make it through the treatment will be better for it. A compromised DT is the biggest problem you have in my opinion.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back