Clownfish not eating & other problems (Fluval 13.5)

bbeck28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Fluval 13.5 for exactly 1 year now. 6-8 months in, the tank was thriving. 2 snowflake clowns, several corals, inverts.

On month 9-10, dinos hit. I mostly kept it under control but not before losing a few corals. Inverts died off quick and anything new I added was dying instantly. Clownfish and other corals still OK though. I upgraded the filter media by purchasing the chamber 1 and chamber 2 from InTank. I began running floss, chemipure blue, and bio back there.

Month 11-currently: the tank is a disaster. I thought maybe temp was too high and contributing, so I started using a fan and it's lower now, 74-76. Dinos appear to be mostly gone but there's all sorts of algae on walls, rocks, and sand bed. I cut back white lights for months now. The clowns are living but have now stopped eating the pellets they've eaten for months. One of them appears to be gasping for air while ignoring the food.

I'm running 8 hours of the light blue lights, UV, and dosing bio bacteria. I also started dosing CyanoClean recently to deal with that. I have good current in the tank with the hygger wave maker.

I'm really not sure where to go from here, seems like several battles at once. Right now, I'm mostly concerned that something is wrong with the clowns because they stopped eating all the sudden. Hoping to save them. Any advice is welcomed. I will attach some pics as well (but they are tough to see well because of the lights and dark room).

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing anything to add oxygen to the tank? If you don't have a skimmer running, you'll want to add an airstone.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back