Clownfish Numbers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reaf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reaf

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2022
Messages
68
Reaction score
15
Location
England
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two small 1" clownfish which I have had for a few weeks now and believe may be paired. Is it possible to add a third larger mature clownfish?
 
I have two small 1" clownfish which I have had for a few weeks now and believe may be paired. Is it possible to add a third larger mature clownfish?
No! The 2 paired Clownfish will bully the single non paired Clownfish, especially if the tank is small.
 
Thanks for the input, will this still be the case if the new clownfish is a lot bigger?
Ultimately, yes. 2 of the clownfish will pair up and bully the 3rd to death. If your two little guys are actually paired, they may gang up on the bigger one. If they are not paired, one will pair with the bigger one and the two will bully/kill the unpaired smaller clown. Some people with huge systems have success keeping more than a pair of clowns. But for most reefers, a pair is the answer (and even that isn't always a sure thing). 3 is a no-go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new