Clownfish questions

brittneya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted recently about one of our clownfish acting strange, but now I have more general questions.
We have 3 clownfish that all came together (yes I know 3 is a crowd) and we have had them for months with no issues. A few days ago I had multiple issues at once and panicked (tank salinity was high, the “baby” of the clownfish was swimming upside down at the top of the tank and later it looked like the mated pair was attacking him.) He hid in the corner of the tank under rocks all day yesterday. After calling the reed store I started trying to get him out to put him in our other tank with no success. Then at night when the tank lights went out he came out of his hiding spot and was just out and the other two left him alone (just checked and this is still the case). Do I still need to get him out? Maybe they weren’t attacking him? What do I do? I should also add this is my husbands hobby and he’s gone so I’m a bit lost lol.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be very aggressive for a variety of reasons. And based on what you've told us here, I would guess that the issue is related to aggression.

I would suggest that you net it and put it in an isolation box within your tank. Doing this will protect it from the aggressor, allowing it to recover from any injuries.

From there, I would suggest rehoming it to another tank as I only see this aggression toward it from other tank mates continuing once you try and place it back in the main display.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on them. Normally two clowns will pair up and attack any others, but it's possible for a trio to live together. If you see any more major aggression, move the smaller one.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted recently about one of our clownfish acting strange, but now I have more general questions.
We have 3 clownfish that all came together (yes I know 3 is a crowd) and we have had them for months with no issues. A few days ago I had multiple issues at once and panicked (tank salinity was high, the “baby” of the clownfish was swimming upside down at the top of the tank and later it looked like the mated pair was attacking him.) He hid in the corner of the tank under rocks all day yesterday. After calling the reed store I started trying to get him out to put him in our other tank with no success. Then at night when the tank lights went out he came out of his hiding spot and was just out and the other two left him alone (just checked and this is still the case). Do I still need to get him out? Maybe they weren’t attacking him? What do I do? I should also add this is my husbands hobby and he’s gone so I’m a bit lost lol.
Sounds like the 2 aint into threesomes
Id rehome it before the dom gets *****

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back