Clownfish rescue mission

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers! I am using this build thread to document my journey to rescue two baby clownfish and to seek help along the way.

The Mission:

Nurse 2 clownfish babies back to health.

See background: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rescuring-2-baby-clownfish.900102/

TDR: They came from a neglectful shop and parts of their tails are visibly missing, likely due to abusive breeding density.

The Tank:

A nano, 5G, all-in-one, bare bottom, FOT setup bought in a hurry. This is my first saltwater tank and I am learning a lot from R2R (thanks!).

The system is in day 8 and I have been monitoring PH, NO2, NO3 and salinity. Temp control is automatic. I have no means to measure PO4 yet.

The Fish:

One is 0.8 inch, the other 0.5 inch. Both have injured tails. They are eating well and I have not seen signs of them being lethargic or wobbly. But see concerns below.

The Diet:

Hikari Marine S
Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp
The Marine S is mixed with defrosted brine shrimp and dispensed 3 times a day, 3 hrs apart.

Current Concerns:

While they are enthusiastic whenever food is available, they only eat a TINY amount each feeding. I count 5-7 pellets before they start to swallow-and-spit, as if playing with food. Is this normal?

The larger fish is bullying the little one. It will monopolize the surface when food comes and launch preemptive and unprovoked attacks to chase the little fish into dark corners. The little one can still get food that sink though. Do I need an isolation thingy or is this hierarchy normal in nature?

As can be seen in photo, they both have injured tails. The larger one has about 15% missing and the smaller one 20%. Will they grow back?

Thanks!

1647760128420.jpg 1647760153948.jpg

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers! I am using this build thread to document my journey to rescue two baby clownfish and to seek help along the way.

The Mission:

Nurse 2 clownfish babies back to health.

See background: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/rescuring-2-baby-clownfish.900102/

TDR: They came from a neglectful shop and parts of their tails are visibly missing, likely due to abusive breeding density.

The Tank:

A nano, 5G, all-in-one, bare bottom, FOT setup bought in a hurry. This is my first saltwater tank and I am learning a lot from R2R (thanks!).

The system is in day 8 and I have been monitoring PH, NO2, NO3 and salinity. Temp control is automatic. I have no means to measure PO4 yet.

The Fish:

One is 0.8 inch, the other 0.5 inch. Both have injured tails. They are eating well and I have not seen signs of them being lethargic or wobbly. But see concerns below.

The Diet:

Hikari Marine S
Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp
The Marine S is mixed with defrosted brine shrimp and dispensed 3 times a day, 3 hrs apart.

Current Concerns:

While they are enthusiastic whenever food is available, they only eat a TINY amount each feeding. I count 5-7 pellets before they start to swallow-and-spit, as if playing with food. Is this normal?

The larger fish is bullying the little one. It will monopolize the surface when food comes and launch preemptive and unprovoked attacks to chase the little fish into dark corners. The little one can still get food that sink though. Do I need an isolation thingy or is this hierarchy normal in nature?

As can be seen in photo, they both have injured tails. The larger one has about 15% missing and the smaller one 20%. Will they grow back?

Thanks!

1647760128420.jpg 1647760153948.jpg
They should grow back just fine. Sounds me there eating good, also the aggressive behavior is normal and really nothing to worry about as the more aggressive of the pair will become the female and the smaller of the pair will be the male it’s all pretty natural. Have you given them anything to boost there immune systems? Are you sure it’s not fin rot?

OP
OP
mcgullen

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should grow back just fine. Sounds me there eating good, also the aggressive behavior is normal and really nothing to worry about as the more aggressive of the pair will become the female and the smaller of the pair will be the male it’s all pretty natural. Have you given them anything to boost there immune systems? Are you sure it’s not fin rot?
Thank you!

Yes, they are eating well. I am feeding them Hikari Marine S and frozen brine shrimp. Hopefully that's nutritious enough.

I am quite certain it's not fin rot. The tail edges don't seem infected. There is no sign of inflammation.

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yes, they are eating well. I am feeding them Hikari Marine S and frozen brine shrimp. Hopefully that's nutritious enough.

I am quite certain it's not fin rot. The tail edges don't seem infected. There is no sign of inflammation.
Try adding a couple drops of garlic juice to there food when you feed them. Not a lot at all!!

OP
OP
mcgullen

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do that next feeding! They just devoured a small feeding of frozen brine shrimp. They continue to have good appetite.

Next water change is scheduled for Thursday. Planning to change 20%.
Try adding a couple drops of garlic juice to there food when you feed them. Not a lot at all!!

OP
OP
mcgullen

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both fish continue to be energetic and have great appetite. They are eating more day by day.

There is one single tiny white spot on the right side of the larger fish. It doesn't look like "salt". Will keep an eye out. Won't do anything ATM.

If more white spots show up or if this fish starts to show typical erratic moves associated with ich, will start copper sulfate treatment at 0.2ppm...

IMG_20220322_191246.jpg

OP
OP
mcgullen

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220326_130121.jpg

As of today, both fish are slowly fattening up. Still waiting for their fins to grow back.

Diet adjusted to Hikari Marine S mixed with LRS fish frenzy, 4 times a day 4 hours apart. No frozen brine for now. Seems to cloud the water.

Water parameters all normal. 20% wc weekly.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back