Clownfish scars healing?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve been treating my female clownfish for about 3 weeks in my QT tank. She got over her bacterial or fungal build up and has been healing for almost 2 weeks. The build up of bacteria or fungus was gone and she had a bunch of exposed tissue (missing scales?) showing. She didn’t get an infection or anything after that since I was treating with methelyne blue and Paraguard. I stopped treating recently since I was medicating for a while, and wanted to improve the water quality. And focus on giving the clown more time to heal. The scars or missing scales or whatever are MUCh better than before (mostly on or near her head) But I want to add the clown back to the QT soon because I don’t want my male clownfish to think she died and that he can become female, but luckily there is a massive size difference.
so I’ve been thinking of doing sort of an acclimation/Paraguard dip before adding her back to the DT.
but should I wait longer? I really do not want to, and have been holding back for the last couple days.
8FCE27D2-43BB-48F4-9C97-4101CFB4EFBD.jpeg

84266424-5A18-4B07-A415-DB8C0BB390AE.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve been treating my female clownfish for about 3 weeks in my QT tank. She got over her bacterial or fungal build up and has been healing for almost 2 weeks. The build up of bacteria or fungus was gone and she had a bunch of exposed tissue (missing scales?) showing. She didn’t get an infection or anything after that since I was treating with methelyne blue and Paraguard. I stopped treating recently since I was medicating for a while, and wanted to improve the water quality. And focus on giving the clown more time to heal. The scars or missing scales or whatever are MUCh better than before (mostly on or near her head) But I want to add the clown back to the QT soon because I don’t want my male clownfish to think she died and that he can become female, but luckily there is a massive size difference.
so I’ve been thinking of doing sort of an acclimation/Paraguard dip before adding her back to the DT.
but should I wait longer? I really do not want to, and have been holding back for the last couple days.
8FCE27D2-43BB-48F4-9C97-4101CFB4EFBD.jpeg

84266424-5A18-4B07-A415-DB8C0BB390AE.jpeg
That really is a judgement call. I would not however dip the clown as you move it, that just adds to the stress and dips never give 100% control over diseases anyway.
She looks pretty good in the pictures. Having her in a QT allows you to match water chemistry so you don’t actually need to acclimate her, just gently move her over. Watch them closely afterwards though - the social dynamics have changed and they could fight.
Jay

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that makes sense. And these scars or minor scale wounds should heal more with time right?
My salinity is quite different though from my QT to DT. So I will definitely drip acclimate her. The temp shouldn't be an issue since I keep my QT a bit warmer and my house stays warmer so the temp should not drop too much.
I most likely will just use a very small amount of stressguard when drip acclimating to help her slime coat, and make sure there is low ammonia.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that makes sense. And these scars or minor scale wounds should heal more with time right?
My salinity is quite different though from my QT to DT. So I will definitely drip acclimate her. The temp shouldn't be an issue since I keep my QT a bit warmer and my house stays warmer so the temp should not drop too much.
I most likely will just use a very small amount of stressguard when drip acclimating to help her slime coat, and make sure there is low ammonia.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back