Clownfish Scratching Question...

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I recently had an ich outbreak in my DT. When that happened, I setup a QT tank, and treated the fish in Copper Power for 30 days (2.0 - 2.5 concentration), and PraziPro for 10 days. Then, while my DT tank continues to be fallow, I put the clownfish into a sterile larger tank with PVC, where they've been for about a month. My plan is to re-introduce them into the DT once the fallow period is complete.

However, over the last few days, I've noticed the clownfish are itching again, however this time I don't see any spots on them at all. They're eating and swimming fine, not gasping for air. I don't have the water parameters on hand, but the ammonia badge reads 0, nitrites have been 0 every time I've tested, and nitrates were hovering around 10. Salinity is 35.

I have an Innovative Marine coming in a few days, and the media that is in my 24 gallon tank, I'm hoping can be used to help cycle the new tank once it gets here. Because this is something I am really focusing on doing, I have started dosing "reef safe" treatments so that the media balls in the 24 gallon tank aren't destroyed. So far, I'm on about 7 days of Polyplab Medic in case it's ich.

So that's all the back story... here's my question...

If they aren't showing spots, and they've been through Copper and Prazi already, what could it be? If I wanted to dose Prazi again, would that destroy the media balls (meaning I can't use them in a reef tank)? My Innovative Marine will have a UV sterilizer plumbed into the return drain, so my thought is long term that will help control the parasite population, but just want to make sure my little clowns are all good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you outline the prazipro treatment timeline? It is critical to get the spacing on the dose just right in order to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes (if present).
Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you outline the prazipro treatment timeline? It is critical to get the spacing on the dose just right in order to break the life cycle of egg laying flukes (if present).
Jay
When I dosed Prazipro initially, I did a single dose one time (half a teaspoon in a 10 gallon tank), and then a large water change at the end of the 7 day period. I did not dose a second time because I didn't see any scratching or any other issue. That was probably a month ago that I dosed the Prazipro.

Should I dose again? If so, does that ruin the media balls (as in, can I use them in my Innovative Marine to help cycle?)

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel needs to be dosed about 10 days apart to try and break he life cycle of any eggs. I’ve had to go three times n stubborn cases. I use bulk prazi, what does prazipro say on the bottle? Prazi won’t harm your beneficial bacteria, but you don’t want to move those bio balls if there is a chance there are flukes in the tank.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back