Clownfish Suddenly Sick Maybe Dying

Aqau_Dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

My clownfish which has been in my tank for almost 5 months now suddenly was sick this morning. Normally it swims around but today i found it agains a rock verticaly almost like it was dead. I've put it in a acclimation box for a bit but it was heavy breathing and rotating like it couldn't swim. Then it just laid there for a while. I asked some friends that are in the hobby and they suggested a fresh water dip. I did that and saw some what looked like mini brine shrimp come of it. It is in a small container with tank water now but it still breathing very hard and laying on it side most of the time. Please have a look at the attached video. Is this Brooklynella or something else?

Attachments

• 20230424_201235.mp4
    17.9 MB
OP
OP
Aqau_Dude

Aqau_Dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my other fish, tang, Hawkeye, Blennie and filefish are all fine and no issues. Just the clown was like this today. Salinity is 1025, PH was 8.2 and temp are 78.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Everyone,

My clownfish which has been in my tank for almost 5 months now suddenly was sick this morning. Normally it swims around but today i found it agains a rock verticaly almost like it was dead. I've put it in a acclimation box for a bit but it was heavy breathing and rotating like it couldn't swim. Then it just laid there for a while. I asked some friends that are in the hobby and they suggested a fresh water dip. I did that and saw some what looked like mini brine shrimp come of it. It is in a small container with tank water now but it still breathing very hard and laying on it side most of the time. Please have a look at the attached video. Is this Brooklynella or something else?
Unfortunately, from the looks of the tail, aggression has seemed to play a part here and with fish breathing heavy, a FW dip should have been avoided as it stresses the fish as it is.
I hate to say - This fish is Moribund and has a low chance of survival. You can increase oxygen with airstone and see if it perks up but at this point, Hope for the best and expect the worse. Wish I could offer more encouragement

OP
OP
Aqau_Dude

Aqau_Dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, from the looks of the tail, aggression has seemed to play a part here and with fish breathing heavy, a FW dip should have been avoided as it stresses the fish as it is.
I hate to say - This fish is Moribund and has a low chance of survival. You can increase oxygen with airstone and see if it perks up but at this point, Hope for the best and expect the worse. Wish I could offer more encouragement
Thanks for your reply, so the only fish in the tank at the moment are
- Hawkfish
- Tomini Tang
- Aptaisa eating filefish
- Midas Blenny

And a few cuc like emerald crab and snails. All the time i had the clown i never seen any other fish being agressive with it. Just yesterday the clown was doing fine and swiming around. I don't even have another clown at the moment. You don't think this is a sick but rather agression?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for your reply, so the only fish in the tank at the moment are
- Hawkfish
- Tomini Tang
- Aptaisa eating filefish
- Midas Blenny

And a few cuc like emerald crab and snails. All the time i had the clown i never seen any other fish being agressive with it. Just yesterday the clown was doing fine and swiming around. I don't even have another clown at the moment. You don't think this is a sick but rather agression?
It can have gill flukes or other issue hard to see in a container. The tail bit can have occurred also once the fish weakened. If aggression, my suspects are Midas or hawkfish

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

It looked like mini brine shrimp came out of it? I can’t see the video cause I’m on Mobile.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Can you post a video of the other fish? I just want to see if something else could be going on with them.

This fish sure looks like it was attacked. You very often won't see that happen, but you will see the fin damage afterwards.

Not sure what the "brine shrimp" things would be, unless it was some pods that came up off the tank bottom when you caught the fish for a dip?

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back