Clownfish with... slime oat rubbing?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these clowns 2 weeks ago, and they have had this white mucus on them for 1.5 weeks

any idea what it is or what I should do?
Still eating, but bullied by a six line that I’m trying to catch

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see a new clown with white slime on its body, I immediately jump to a diagnosis of Brooklynella hostilis, a protozoan parasite that commonly affects newly acquired clownfish. These look like they could be wild ocellaris clowns - if so, then even more likely it is brook. The only thing that is putting me off is how long they have had this. Brook often kills fish within a week.

Formalin dips and moving the fish to a fresh tank is the best control method, but some people have reported that Ruby Reef has worked for them. Here is some additional information about this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspected brook for the first 5 days, but all I’ve heard is that fish die from it very quickly

Both of the clowns have it
The male more

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male has been picked on A lot more, and he has more white stuff on him
The female wasn’t picked on too bad, and has much less

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Humblefish
Can I get a second opinion?
Thanks
Humblefish is not on here and a second opinion?
Between jay and Myself- there is close to seventy years of experience. It is indeed brook and showing all the signs:
Most similar symptomatically to Oodinum, this is also a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections
Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
f a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a freshwater dip in the same temperature as tank water. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my plan
(Comments are appreciated)

1. put all fish in ruby reef rally baths for 90 minutes

2. put metroplex in the water column, replacing every 2 days for a total of 10-14 days

3. add fish to the tank after their baths, into the metroplex

4. after 2 weeks, remove metroplex with carbon

5. hope and pray for the best

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after taking to my lfs owner yesterday, we concluded that it was a bacterial infection

I’m am putting in ruby reef rally pro so it should help if the infection is negative gram

if It doesn’t seem to be helping in the next week or so, I’ll get furan 2

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated pic
Water is green cause I just put in 2nd dose of medicine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty sure the fish are getting bacterial infections from the mangroves in the sump

is the antibiotic the best way to kill that bacteria?

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is looking much better now, and on day 4 of treatment

I only have 2-3 days of medication left, so how much longer should I treat after everything is cleared up?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back