Clownfish won't eat after tank transfer

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the tittle says, one of my clownfish won't eat after a transfered them from my 75g to my 175g. I've had both clownfish for about 2.5 years and the female clownfish is going on day two since I transfer her over to the bigger tank. The 2 clowsn are the only 2 fish I've transferred so far and that was to help continue cycling the tank. I started with all new sand and carib sea rock (the purple one). I set up the new tank a week ago with Fritz turbo start and was advised by my LFS that after about 4 days there needs to be some fish in there to add a source of amonia to continue the cycle. The male clownfish was eating the same day but the female hasn't eaten. I am feeding them the same diet as before. I'm just curious if other people have had the same issues and when should I be really concerned (more than I am now) that she is not eating. Thanks in advance.

ReadySet-Flow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten 5 new clownfish in the past 2 months. They all took between 3 days and a week to start eating. With the change of environment they're probably stressed out. Give them some time, don't overfeed but still offer them a small quantity of food.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested the water for ammonia and nitrite levels?

As I stated the tank is still cycling but my ammonia was reading at 0.25 ppm yesterday nitrite 0 nitrate 0. I will check again today when I get home from work. I think she might be upset because I took her from my 75g that has about 15 BTAs to a tank that just has rock and sand.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the male still eating normally? Depending on your pH, the 0.25 ammonia could be stressful. And yes, moving an established clown to a tank without anemones could cause it to pout a bit...

Jay

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the male still eating normally? Depending on your pH, the 0.25 ammonia could be stressful. And yes, moving an established clown to a tank without anemones could cause it to pout a bit...

Jay
The male ate normally that same day. I'm thinking of throwing one if my nems in there since I have about 15 if them. I know nems don't do well in New aquariums but I don't know how long she can go without eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the clown can go at least a week without eating, the underlying cause of it not eating could be an issue in less time, I just can’t get a clear read on what that might be....
Jay

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update. I just got home from work and tried to feed them the same diet as they've had for 2.5 years (frozen spirulina brine and frozen mysis) but this time I used some garlic drops and she still wouldn't eat. I had a sample of PE pellets (by Piscine) that I've fed maybe less than 10 times ever I figured I'd give it a shot and she went right for them. I don't know what the difference is but she was letting the frozen food float right by her and even touch her in the face area and she would budge. As soon as she saw those pellets she went after them. I'm still going to test the water again in a little but but I figured I'd give an update along with a picture of her old home and her new home.

20201115_185038.jpg 20201115_185103.jpg 20201115_185119.jpg

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post parameters in a little bit. I'm still curious (as I'm sure others are too) as to why she would just ignore food she's been accustomed to for 2.5 years and go for something that was rarely fed. It was instant too. As soon as she saw it (or smelled I'm guessing) she went right for it. My only issue now is that I only have 2 clowns in that tank and pellets are nutrient dense so it's hard to get all the food to stay on one spot since she seems to have a favored that section of rock. Luckily 175g is a little more forgiving than a nano.

OP
OP
D. Torres

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All with API tests. I know they're not the best but I think it's a decent base line as long as you're consistent.

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.25 (maybe 0)
Nitrite 0
Natrate 5
KH 9
Salinity 1.026

Didn't test Mg or Ca or Phospate but I can if it helps anything.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back