Clownfish won't host anything?

IL613

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon mixed reef with two adorable captive-bred Ocellaris Clowns (purchased from my local Petco), and so far, everything's gone smoothly with them. However, my they seem to be disinterested in being hosted by anything. I had an orange tip BTA for awhile and they wouldn't touch it (it eventually died), and they're ignoring my duncans, xenia, and well, everything else.

They don't seem unhappy per se, but aren't clownfishes inclined to search for a host? Should I be concerned about this behavior? I can include pics if needed.

msjboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find captive breed clownfish don't really know how to host a coral..I recently bought two and they just swim about disinterested. In a typical tank with 20-30 captive clowns, I see only a couple in a nem.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to make them afraid so that they flee into the safety of the nem. They also have to like the particular nem and they can be picky as to where they build a nest and where they sleep. They like the Hotel Sovereign, not the Motel 6. They insist on the 800+ count thread sheets vs washed last Monday if they needed it. :)

Wild ones are different but they still have their preferences.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon mixed reef with two adorable captive-bred Ocellaris Clowns (purchased from my local Petco), and so far, everything's gone smoothly with them. However, my they seem to be disinterested in being hosted by anything. I had an orange tip BTA for awhile and they wouldn't touch it (it eventually died), and they're ignoring my duncans, xenia, and well, everything else.

They don't seem unhappy per se, but aren't clownfishes inclined to search for a host? Should I be concerned about this behavior? I can include pics if needed.
Nah, you don't need to be concerned. Normal for clowns to choose something as a host, also normal otherwise.

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bro i took care of lots of clowns a lot
in my opinion just dont bother yourself about them when ever they want they go hust something
it happened for me when i had a 7 clowns in 1 tank with my 2 years old cloen fish all of them were oc
after two days 2 of them hosted my bubble tip
two of them hosted my sand anemone
and one of them hosted my green fuzzy mushroom
and i didnt do anything
i tried so hard for them to train them to host anemones but they didnt so when i add more anemones he found out how to host one
and all 7 of them are captivity breed ones

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back