Clowns do weird stuff?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have clowns that do weird stuff that scare you?

Went down stairs yesterday morning and my female orange storm was on the substrate laying on her side laying against a small empty conch shell, little smaller then her. This tank is on a reverse light schedule, so it was lights out for them.

I about crapped myself, she is my favorite fish.

I put some food in, she can right up eating like normal then went back to cruising the tank.

Anyone else have clowns that do weird things like this?

Bout gave me a mini heart attack.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Went down stairs yesterday morning and my female orange storm was on the substrate laying on her side laying against a small empty conch shell, little smaller then her. This tank is on a reverse light schedule, so it was lights out for them.

I put some food in, she can right up eating like normal then went back to cruising the tank.

Keep an eye on the fish to make sure that it isn't a regular issue implying that there is a bigger problem. That said - yes, clowns do weird stuff!

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Clarkii clowns that have been together for 8 months. I still can’t tell which is the female as they are exactly the same size and they seem to have “paired” with my coral beauty instead of each other. They get along but both of them prefer to cruise the tank with the angelfish.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my snowflake clowns like to sleep/rest on one side of the tank every couple of nights, so I dubbed the rocks on that side "Clownfish Rock". I also caught them nipping/biting at my return nozzle once. They would swim up to the flow and bite it, then swim away. They did that for about 30 mins one night and never did it again. Clowns are weird..

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair host the back bottom corner of my tank out of site most the time, And my female would rather hang out with my yellow tang than anyone else. And she hates it when her little clown buddy tries to eat anything. I love them and thought they would be cool to watch instead she hangs out with a tang or hides in the back stopping her mate from eating. Weirdos.

OP
OP
Jay Z

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Her favorite sleeping spot. Darn goby moved before I could get a pic of them cuddling.
5A82A959-42CA-4243-BC8E-F139E9AB3DA5.jpeg

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My two clowns sleep together on the bottom of the tank in a front corner...same place every night.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got one of them! Darn goby moved a little. Lol.
5D30B468-CF0C-494B-B5FA-48DCB6EE9074.jpeg
39B59FAF-1E4D-43AF-BBDD-9D8544B7409C.jpeg
You ended up with a shrimp clown lol or at least that is what the goby thinks.

But to the OP, yes clowns are weird. I could make a long list about what ones I have had have done over the years.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love to shiver and shake at each other.
And they'll try out almost anything as a host.
Not just nems, but elegance coral, goniopora, even some shaggy mushrooms.
My clowns have been loving my Goni to death recently, it is constantly retracting due to them bumping it / mouthing at the polyps. Will it get used to them and let them host?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns have been loving my Goni to death recently, it is constantly retracting due to them bumping it / mouthing at the polyps. Will it get used to them and let them host?

It's possible for clowns to kill corals by bothering them too much.
A goni, euphyllia, catalaphyllia etc will generally not tolerate the constant attention that nems will.
Do you have an appropriate anemone for them?
If not, you might get one. If so but they ignore it, you might get another and see if they prefer it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back