Clowns don't hangout?

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Mandarin clowns that don't swim or really hang out together at all. I bought a "bonded" pair initially and one of them killed the other. I then just had one clown (very large female now)for about 3 -4 months then I bought a replacement mandarin about 4-5 months ago. They pay each other no attention really, I've just noticed all other clowns I see in tanks are together....

Thanks!
Salt

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was the second clown when you bought it and how large is your tank?

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was the second clown when you bought it and how large is your tank?

Second clown was small much smaller than the other. Tanks is a reefer 250 so about 52 gallons.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in fact it was a bonded pair when you bought them, is the original male or female the one remaining? If it's the female, your new smaller clown will have to eventually "submit" to her. You may see some aggression between the two and the smaller one should eventually show signs of submission. When, or should I say if, that happens is unclear. It may never actually happen.

If the male of the original pair is the remaining clown, then it being larger than the new addition, should eventually morph in to the female. Again, no defined timeframe.

I would just give them some time and keep an eye on them. Lastly, I will say this...clowns are weird!!!:confused:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance you can get a picture of the two of them close to each other? I'm really curious to see the current size difference after this long. 4-5 months seems unusually long for them to not even try to pair up.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance you can get a picture of the two of them close to each other? I'm really curious to see the current size difference after this long. 4-5 months seems unusually long for them to not even try to pair up.

Well re-did my aquascape this weekend, tried to take a few pictures of them together, but the stars never aligned..... I'll keep trying. I'd say the female is about twice the size of the male, the female has hosted my torch, the male never gets near it.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in fact it was a bonded pair when you bought them, is the original male or female the one remaining? If it's the female, your new smaller clown will have to eventually "submit" to her. You may see some aggression between the two and the smaller one should eventually show signs of submission. When, or should I say if, that happens is unclear. It may never actually happen.

If the male of the original pair is the remaining clown, then it being larger than the new addition, should eventually morph in to the female. Again, no defined timeframe.

I would just give them some time and keep an eye on them. Lastly, I will say this...clowns are weird!!!:confused:

Thanks! Yes the bonded pair were both the same size, after she chased the other one out of the tank I waited months before adding another. The weird thing is it's been several months.... at least 6 now that I think about it, and they never fight, never are together....

Things may get interesting soon, I plan to add a nem...

Salt

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best I could get
8ed8e03d76bfbd67a67e5df904796497.jpg

d9280eeff6d7cdca28b21fcbb9a2468d.jpg
c9687bd5fe47373f75476c4825cd614a.jpg

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a Mandarin Clownfish... what are they exactly? I expected your fish to look more like a Mandarin Dragonet than a Clownfish. Kind of like this picture:
mandarin_clownfish_by_dwarf4r-d7nftt3.jpg

- C. Smith

From what I'm told it's a maroon crossed with an is oscelaris.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Mandarin clowns that don't swim or really hang out together at all. I bought a "bonded" pair initially and one of them killed the other. I then just had one clown (very large female now)for about 3 -4 months then I bought a replacement mandarin about 4-5 months ago. They pay each other no attention really, I've just noticed all other clowns I see in tanks are together....

Thanks!
Salt

I have something similar happening.

I purchased 2 juvenile clowns, one around 1.5" and the other around 1", about 5 months ago. At first they never seemed to leave each other's side. They then fought until one established dominance (the larger of the two). Its been about a month since the aggression seemed to subside. The problem is they no longer tend to hang out near each other and even sleep at opposite ends of the tank now...

Could this be something as silly as they are just taking some time apart due to hurt feelings? Or do they just not have interest in each other all together?

Definitely following to see if I can learn anything! Hopefully both our clowns mend broken hearts and hurt feelings!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back