Clowns Have Been Fighting a Lot!

Brad_the_gunner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brad Here,

Recently I’v been noticing one of my clown’s is more beat up than “his” tank mate. (Mind you these clowns are just about a quarter large) But no real alarming injuries, upon these last 3 days I have noticed a lot more fighting for what seems to be them sorting out dominance. How long do these “fighting for dominance” last? And what should I be looking for?

Thanks again!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns started fighting about 1 month after I got them, and it lasted about 2 or 3 weeks. During that time both exhibited flesh wounds around their mouths, and one had a damaged fin. But eventually they worked it out and the dominant one started growing noticeably larger than the other. The dominant becomes female. They've now been living together peacefully for a year. You will also notice the submissive clown shaking or quivering. This is a normal submissive behavior and nothing to worry about.

It's tough to just sit and watch them go through the fighting stage, but it's normal and they'll work it out.

Clowns2.jpg

(this is the photo I created my avatar from)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brad_the_gunner

Brad_the_gunner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns started fighting about 1 month after I got them, and it lasted about 2 or 3 weeks. During that time both exhibited flesh wounds around their mouths, and one had a damaged fin. But eventually they worked it out and the dominant one started growing noticeably larger than the other. The dominant becomes female. They've now been living together peacefully for a year. You will also notice the submissive clown shaking or quivering. This is a normal submissive behavior and nothing to worry about.

It's tough to just sit and watch them go through the fighting stage, but it's normal and they'll work it out.

Clowns2.jpg

(this is the photo I created my avatar from)
Now that you mentioned it I have been seeing my gladiator clown shaking next to my other one. I just got worried because when he shakes like that the other one like to take a chomp at him.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mentioned it I have been seeing my gladiator clown shaking next to my other one. I just got worried because when he shakes like that the other one like to take a chomp at him.

Yep, that's exactly what mine did. Clowns are weird!

Shortly after I got mine, I also bought a bubble tip anemone for them, but they wouldn't go near it. 10 months later I was about to give away the anemone, but I came home one day and found the anemone hosting the clowns! They finally figured it out and now they won't leave it. Everyone's happy. :)

OP
OP
Brad_the_gunner

Brad_the_gunner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's exactly what mine did. Clowns are weird!

Shortly after I got mine, I also bought a bubble tip anemone for them, but they wouldn't go near it. 10 months later I was about to give away the anemone, but I came home one day and found the anemone hosting the clowns! They finally figured it out and now they won't leave it. Everyone's happy. :)
Hey thank you so much. I was kinda stressing over nothing!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back