OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the power heads are probably too weak as well. One was from the 13 gallon tank and the bigger one I ordered for this tank but I didn’t exactly know what I was looking for. Can you recommend a certain one or strength to get?
I just moved the power head up. Is that too high? The soft corals aren’t getting flow at the bottom now it seems

Attachments

• IMG_9113.mov
    14.8 MB

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a over the counter whole house filter filled with soda lime. I put a piece of 3/4 cpvc in the middle for a draw tube. I will add a picture for you. All the parts are available at you4 local hardware store. The soda lime is available online. Online soda lime is much cheaper at Amazon then brs or any where I have found it. It's sold by veterinarian supply houses. If you want let me know a can give you walk through to build this
I like seeing different DIY projects. Yours seems to work just fine seeing the media color change. One thing I would point out is this looks fine for a CO2 scrubber that brings in room or outside air but not recommended for a skimmer recirc configuration. CO2 is made up of mostly calcium hydroxide and a small amount of sodium hydroxide and when wet is extremely caustic. Feeding skimmer recirc air through the top of a scrubber is not recommended even if using a moisture separator. You don't want to take the chance of sucking the caustic fluid into your tank. It could cause a spike in alkalinity and PH. Most scrubbers a built to draw air to the bottom and exhaust from the top and most have at least a small moisture collection area in the bottom to keep the media dry.

The veterinarian supply house media works great and is medical grade. It is also what I use and is much cheaper when purchased in bulk. I think this is around 48lbs of media. It lasts me approx 6-7mo and my scrubber holds a total of 12cups so It makes sense for me to buy a bulk size.
JOR553B_1.jpg

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved the power head up. Is that too high? The soft corals aren’t getting flow at the bottom now it seems
That looks much better to me. I cant see the corals on the bottom but it looks like the water flow is reaching the opposite wall which means the flow should be diverting to the bottom. What are the bubbles on the back right side of your tank from? Also, is the powerhead on the left side on? I would like to see a video of the corals on the bottom if you don't mind. Also, I am not sure if you know but if the video is to big for in MB for this site you can always put it on You Tube and copy and past the link to the video. Could you also take a side view photo your tank so I can see your powerhead placement better?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the power heads are probably too weak as well. One was from the 13 gallon tank and the bigger one I ordered for this tank but I didn’t exactly know what I was looking for. Can you recommend a certain one or strength to get?
What are the dimensions of your 36 gallon tank? ( L x W x D ). Glass thickness? There are many powerheads out there so you may get various opinions. I will only be able to do some research for you and recommendations not based on experience because my tank is pretty big and I have 2 Ecotech Vortech MP60's and 2 MP40's and if all at max speed I would have a flow of 28,000 gal/hr which would be 124X tank turnover rate for 220gal which is my measured tank volume not including the 30 gallons in my sump which is only half full. For your tank if only LPS and Softies, if looking at a 20-40x tank turnover rate your looking at 720-1440gph. Mixed tank maybe a little higher ( 30-50 ) and SPS only even higher. There are many different opinions on this subject but most seem to be in the same ballpark. Rockscape and tank dimensions also play a big part on flow and powerhead locations.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to worry about pH, then get a better tool. A cheaper pH pen from Amazon that is recently calibrated is better than a color-changing test kit. If you rinse them under freshwater when you are done, then they can last quite a while.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your 36 gallon tank? ( L x W x D ). Glass thickness? There are many powerheads out there so you may get various opinions. I will only be able to do some research for you and recommendations not based on experience because my tank is pretty big and I have 2 Ecotech Vortech MP60's and 2 MP40's and if all at max speed I would have a flow of 28,000 gal/hr which would be 124X tank turnover rate for 220gal which is my measured tank volume not including the 30 gallons in my sump which is only half full. For your tank if only LPS and Softies, if looking at a 20-40x tank turnover rate your looking at 720-1440gph. Mixed tank maybe a little higher ( 30-50 ) and SPS only even higher. There are many different opinions on this subject but most seem to be in the same ballpark. Rockscape and tank dimensions also play a big part on flow and powerhead locations.
The tank is 32” L, 11.5” W, 20”H, and the glass is about half an inch. I know I have a bunch of Aiptasia but I recently bought 5 medium size Berghia Nudibranch. They seemed kinda small so hopefully they are growing and breading so they can eat them all. I did see one out the other night and it looked bigger than when I put them in. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 32” L, 11.5” W, 20”H, and the glass is about half an inch. I know I have a bunch of Aiptasia but I recently bought 5 medium size Berghia Nudibranch. They seemed kinda small so hopefully they are growing and breading so they can eat them all. I did see one out the other night and it looked bigger than when I put them in. Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to worry about pH, then get a better tool. A cheaper pH pen from Amazon that is recently calibrated is better than a color-changing test kit. If you rinse them under freshwater when you are done, then they can last quite a while.
I have a Hanna checker for ph and I did the Fluval tube test as a back up.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the Nudi's a few months to do their thing. I also had an Aptasia infestation and purchased 10 from my LFS and they bred and totally wiped out all my Aptasia in a few months. The first month or so I saw little if any reduction in Aptasia then it seemed like overnight the Aptasia was rapidly decreasing. It was fun shinning my 420nm flashlight into the tank watching them go to town. I was amazed on how much they multiplied. They breed like rabbits. When most of the Aptasia was gone they started to crawl on the glass and it was easy to collect them over a few days. I put them in a large zip lock bag clamped to the side of my sump. I collected 64 of them and took them to my LFS and they gave me a store credit of $400. Doubled my money. There where still some more in the tank but they ended up starving to death due to no Aptasia left in the tank. They will eat every single one in the tank. They are great hunters. The bigger Aptasia you will see them team up together and attack. The team will normally only eat one Aptasia every couple of days but you will end up seeing a lot of different teams eating the big ones. The smaller Aptasia it only takes one or two to eat it.
At least this is what I viewed every night with my flashlight.
Also when you read online the people that sell Nudi's, they always seem to say you need 1 for every 10 gallons. That is a bunch of BS. That would of meant I needed to start with 25 of them. I trusted my LFS and they were correct on me not needing 25. They told me 10 will do the trick and to just give it some time. Most of the people that say that Nudi's did nothing to their Aptasia problem and never saw them, more than likely had predators in their tank.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your PH at today? Did you leave a window or door to the outside open most of the day yesterday? Also, those Nuclear Green Palys will spread like wildfire. I had a 1' long 6" wide rock that I built a Zoa garden on and I didn't know better and put a Nuclear Green Paly frag on the rock and within 7mo the Paly took over the whole rock and destroyed my garden I was attempting to grow out. I ended up removing the rock and put it in a large tote with water and bleach and covered it for a week. And yes, I was very careful doing this. Long gloves, goggles and reparatory.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your PH at today? Did you leave a window or door to the outside open most of the day yesterday? Also, those Nuclear Green Palys will spread like wildfire. I had a 1' long 6" wide rock that I built a Zoa garden on and I didn't know better and put a Nuclear Green Paly frag on the rock and within 7mo the Paly took over the whole rock and destroyed my garden I was attempting to grow out. I ended up removing the rock and put it in a large tote with water and bleach and covered it for a week. And yes, I was very careful doing this. Long gloves, goggles and reparatory.
The palys are the only ones of the corals I bought that actually grew or didn’t die. So this evening I was looking at the tank and my watchmen goby is swimming around the top of the tank. He never does this and we’ve had him over 8 months. Do you think it’s the current or bubbles? What else would make him do that you think?

Attachments

• IMG_9129.mov
    27.1 MB
  • IMG_9130.jpeg
    IMG_9130.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9129.mov
    27.1 MB
  • IMG_9130.jpeg
    IMG_9130.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The palys are the only ones of the corals I bought that actually grew or didn’t die. So this evening I was looking at the tank and my watchmen goby is swimming around the top of the tank. He never does this and we’ve had him over 8 months. Do you think it’s the current or bubbles? What else would make him do that you think?
Give the Nudi's a few months to do their thing. I also had an Aptasia infestation and purchased 10 from my LFS and they bred and totally wiped out all my Aptasia in a few months. The first month or so I saw little if any reduction in Aptasia then it seemed like overnight the Aptasia was rapidly decreasing. It was fun shinning my 420nm flashlight into the tank watching them go to town. I was amazed on how much they multiplied. They breed like rabbits. When most of the Aptasia was gone they started to crawl on the glass and it was easy to collect them over a few days. I put them in a large zip lock bag clamped to the side of my sump. I collected 64 of them and took them to my LFS and they gave me a store credit of $400. Doubled my money. There where still some more in the tank but they ended up starving to death due to no Aptasia left in the tank. They will eat every single one in the tank. They are great hunters. The bigger Aptasia you will see them team up together and attack. The team will normally only eat one Aptasia every couple of days but you will end up seeing a lot of different teams eating the big ones. The smaller Aptasia it only takes one or two to eat it.
At least this is what I viewed every night with my flashlight.
Also when you read online the people that sell Nudi's, they always seem to say you need 1 for every 10 gallons. That is a bunch of BS. That would of meant I needed to start with 25 of them. I trusted my LFS and they were correct on me not needing 25. They told me 10 will do the trick and to just give it some time. Most of the people that say that Nudi's did nothing to their Aptasia problem and never saw them, more than likely had predators in their tank.
I ordered them online but I called the seller and told them my tank size at that I had at least 25 and size. He said 5 med should take care of it. I called every fish store around trying to buy them and nobody ever had any in stock. I’m not sure my fish store will give me any store credit for them but I bet they would just take them. But credit would be great. Hopefully I’ll see one or two Aipstia disappear soon

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fish expert to say the least but I do find it a little strange for a Goby to be near the surface. Some do occasionally and have been known to get stuck on powerheads but you say this is the first time you have seen him near the top? They are normally sand dwellers. Are your clowns doing fine and are they near the bottom or are they at the top also? Current is usually not an issue. I am wondering if your O2 levels near the bottom of the tank are low. With the amount of air you are injecting into the tank I would find that a little strange unless your powerheads are really weak. Is he eating? Did he go into his cave when the lights went out?
Your best bet is to post a thread in the fish section and explain in detail what you have done with the tank over the past few days. I also find it strange that with you bringing in fresh air to the tank that your PH is only 7.9 with no change noticed with fresh are being applied. By chance do you live near an industrial area or a major highway? Are there a lot of trees in your area?. Any chemical spraying going on in the area? Not all areas have the same CO2 content in the outside air. Sorry I am digging a little but something seems a little off to me with your tank and I can't pinpoint it.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fish expert to say the least but I do find it a little strange for a Goby to be near the surface. Some do occasionally and have been known to get stuck on powerheads but you say this is the first time you have seen him near the top? They are normally sand dwellers. Are your clowns doing fine and are they near the bottom or are they at the top also? Current is usually not an issue. I am wondering if your O2 levels near the bottom of the tank are low. With the amount of air you are injecting into the tank I would find that a little strange unless your powerheads are really weak. Is he eating? Did he go into his cave when the lights went out?
Your best bet is to post a thread in the fish section and explain in detail what you have done with the tank over the past few days. I also find it strange that with you bringing in fresh air to the tank that your PH is only 7.9 with no change noticed with fresh are being applied. By chance do you live near an industrial area or a major highway? Are there a lot of trees in your area?. Any chemical spraying going on in the area? Not all areas have the same CO2 content in the outside air. Sorry I am digging a little but something seems a little off to me with your tank and I can't pinpoint it.
After looking at the video a little closer I just noticed your other fish near the bottom of your tank so it is probably not an O2 issue. Also the Goby did not look like it was gasping for air. He looked like he was interested in something because at the end of the video before it cut out it looked like he was lunging at something the caught his attention. Did you see what he lunged at?

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the video a little closer I just noticed your other fish near the bottom of your tank so it is probably not an O2 issue. Also the Goby did not look like it was gasping for air. He looked like he was interested in something because at the end of the video before it cut out it looked like he was lunging at something the caught his attention. Did you see what he lunged at?
Well I did move the seaweed clip up higher by where he looked interested in behind the bubbles. I think my starry blenny was kicking him out of his hide also. The watchman finally went back to the sand but he was hiding somewhere different. I’ve just never seen him swim anywhere near the top

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t live in an industrial town . I probably live 5 miles away from the near highway. Regular yard trees near

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back