CO2 usage

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally hooked up my Ca Rx in early January (bought it back in May or June). After several issues with poor craftsmanship (nothing a dremel couldn't make better), I finally got it to seal and run. I kept having issues with the CO2 drip rate. I'd set it at about one every second or second and a half and two hours later, it wouldn't be running, or vice versa. Then, after about a months worth (actually less) of running, I ran out of CO2. There had to have been a leak. It's a CR6, so it's huge, but at the drip rate I was using, there is no way I used 5 lbs in the reactor. There had to have been a leak. Does anyone have any other ideas? I checked the ORing and it is fine (everything was brand new). I'll soapy water leak check the tank head and the valve connection when I get it refilled, but is there anything else to check or that makes sense?

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you bubble counter connected to the regulator or the reactor? I would check evey connection between your bubble counter and the CO2 tank. Better yet, take them all apart and refit them.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a calcium reactor, but I have worked with my fair share of gas cylinders. Are you using Teflon tape with all of your fittings? I think that taking apart all the fitting and readjusting them very carefully is a great suggestion.

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
local store had the same size reactor and blows through 5 lbs in 2 months

depends on your effuent and how much is let out in the air

dont use teflon tape

use soap to check for leaks

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should use Teflon tape. Wrap it in the same direction as the threads, and wrap it around 3-4 times (smoothly, don't let it bunch up). That should be sufficient.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I teflon'd all pipe fittings, but didn't add anything to the regulator since it has an internal O-Ring. The connection from the the regulator to the bubble counter is a compression fit (nut and ferrule). I'm wondering if the o-ring had some junk in it? If not and I end up using that much, I'll have to find a 10 lb. The 125 is relatively well stocked with SPS and when I was doing the DIY homemade, I had a hard time keeping the levels up, so...

familyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas

I have a 20 pound cylinder on my dual chambered reactor set at 1 bubble every 3 seconds. I have to refill the 20 pounder every 6 months. It's OK cause the media in the first chamber needs to be replenished about the same time.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of system do you have, familyreefer? Since I haven't had a chance to get it completely set up and running for more than a couple of weeks at a time (then fix something to stop the leak around the upper main chamber top and readjust...). I feel as though I have a relatively heavily stocked SPS tank, but that is strictly subjective without a comparison...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back