OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know what to do with this extra purple pocillopora; I glued him to a 3x3 tile until he finds a new home. This is 1 of 3 that grew from an inch frag last year.

1.jpg

Random acan. Had this guy for awhile
1.jpg

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking bryopsis, but it's thick with white tips and roots. It's not like other bryopsis pics I've seen. It's not thin like GHA I've know from the past
1.jpg

1.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking bryopsis, but it's thick with white tips and roots. It's not like other bryopsis pics I've seen. It's not thin like GHA I've know from the past
1.jpg

1.jpg
Its nice when you put it that way:confused: Congratz on the spiffy new badge;)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nice when you put it that way:confused: Congratz on the spiffy new badge;)

The badge made me smile, thank you.

The R2R gurus don't know what it is either :eek::eek:

The thought is some unknown type of macro. I feel like it came in on some corals I purchased awhile ago in the 170, but it's growing. Current thought is some unknown macro algae. The kole tang has never once touched it.

I may try some fluconazole in the near future.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The badge made me smile, thank you.

The R2R gurus don't know what it is either :eek::eek:

The thought is some unknown type of macro. I feel like it came in on some corals I purchased awhile ago in the 170, but it's growing. Current thought is some unknown macro algae. The kole tang has never once touched it.

I may try some fluconazole in the near future.

Do you have hermits and mithrax / emeralds, no idea what it is but looks nom nom to my cuc! ;)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a snail only CUC. I initially avoided hermits, but that's a great idea that I could add just a few.

People panic because they walk all over the corals and upset them, whatever!
The corals get used to them, they clean the stuff tangs can't be bothered with ime! ;)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People panic because they walk all over the corals and upset them, whatever!
The corals get used to them, they clean the stuff tangs can't be bothered with ime! ;)
And then they see the snails and have dreams of a bigger house...

But yes... hermits are great CUC.

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may be a little bit late to the party, but I just wanted to say the tank looks really beautiful and I really enjoy the fantastic pictures you are taking for the thread. Great job, following along

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love those urchins but that looks like bryopsis to me.

That was my original thought as well, but the R2R gurus didn't want to call it as bryopsis. I've wanted an urchin for awhile, this gives me an excuse. If it doesn't work, then I can run Fluconazole. I'd love to not dose my tank with any chemical thou.

Fluconazole isn't supposed to affect hammers or nems, but prefer to not test it.

Last edited:

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard of an Englishmen that likes green:
D.jpg
E.jpg

And then the frags:
F.jpg

C.jpg

B.jpg

A.jpg
Got caught up on the build. Your tank and corals look like they are doing great!

What is the second sps coral in the pics?
That was my original thought as well, but the R2R gurus didn't want to call it as bryopsis. I've wanted an urchin for awhile, this gives me an excuse. If it doesn't work, then I can run Fluconazole. I'd love to not dose my tank with any chemical thou.

Fluconazole isn't supposed to affect hammers or nems, but prefer to not test it.
It looks different then the bryopsis I had. It would mainly only grow on my pumps in the frag tank but I got tired of picking it off. I was like you and didn’t want to dose any chemicals but I was tired the Fluconazole and it worked like a charm. My Alk Consumption didn’t move at all and my anemones didn’t seem to notice either. Everything went on like normal but the bryopsis died.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got caught up on the build. Your tank and corals look like they are doing great!

What is the second sps coral in the pics

Thanks for the kind words and the likes!

Bought it at NYRAP, vendor called it "Pumpkin Patch". Found no references online. I love BC's Sun God Prostrata and it reminded me of that, so I got it.

I was like you and didn’t want to dose any chemicals but I was tired the Fluconazole and it worked like a charm. My Alk Consumption didn’t move at all and my anemones didn’t seem to notice either

That's awesome to hear.

Last edited:

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff you are calling bryopsis looks like hydroids that algae is growing onto. I had the same looking hydroids in my tank. Just without the algae. I imagine the algae grows on them because anywhere else it gets eaten. The hydroids eventually disappeared. They popped up almost 9 months after I setup the tank, then mysteriously they were gone.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back