HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What camera and lens are you using?

Sony A7 II (older one) and the Sony 90mm Macro.

I used to be a Canon guy back in the day. I was impressed by Olypmus 4/3rd for the money, but returned it and did Sony.

If starting new, it's either Fuji or Sony these days.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sony A7 II (older one) and the Sony 90mm Macro.

I used to be a Canon guy back in the day. I was impressed by Olypmus 4/3rd for the money, but returned it and did Sony.

If starting new, it's either Fuji or Sony these days.
Thanks for the info. I want a new camera so I am trying to gather some info.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I want a new camera so I am trying to gather some info.

@d2mini is using Fuji and is running their latest macro, check out this pictures.

It's not easy. I decided to buy an older Sony body, which can be had for a good price, and their best macro lens (used). Zero regrets. However, I don't think I'd regret the Fuji either.

Cameras systems stir up religious wars, but I believe only Sony + Fuji have had increases sales (and increasing market share) for the last 4 years.

If you buy new, the vast majority of places allow returns with zero penalty if you buy something else. So keep that in mind.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a used sony a6000 and its a huge step up from my phone, and gives me plenty to learn and work on without going all out for an a7 etc.. But it's a whole 'nother hobby in itself. I need to get a good macro lens but I keep spending money on fish stuff. Lol.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DMZ, these two met maybe ~3 months. Neither gave any ground, nothing more happened. Growing in other directions.
D.jpg

The monti continues to encrust over the coralline and growth. The color above is more accurate (the red is a bit off here)
E.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DMZ, these two met maybe ~3 months. Neither gave any ground, nothing more happened. Growing in other directions.
D.jpg

The monti continues to encrust over the coralline and growth. The color above is more accurate (the red is a bit off here)
E.jpg

That is my favourite monti, failed twice with it, where is it light wise?
Great pics, love the cyphastria. :)

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my favourite monti, failed twice with it, where is it light wise?
Great pics, love the cyphastria. :)

Low light, at the bottom of the tank. Slightly more light than acans, less than all SPS. Probably 100-150 PAR his whole life

I got him a long time ago and gave away all my high light spots to SPS. Just glued him there to see what happens. He did nothing for quite awhile (months) then grew fast.

It's may be general stability or water chemistry, but alot of things seemed way happier after I added that yellow coris wrasse.

Digital camera love grey, so it's practically cheating to take pics of the Cyphastrea. You can't take a bad pic

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low light, at the bottom of the tank. Slightly more light than acans, less than all SPS. Probably 100-150 PAR his whole life

I got him a long time ago and gave away all my high light spots to SPS. Just glued him there to see what happens. He did nothing for quite awhile (months) then grew fast.

It's may be general stability or water chemistry, but alot of things seemed way happier after I added that yellow coris wrasse.

Digital camera love grey, so it's practically cheating to take pics of the Cyphastrea. You can't take a bad pic

Thanks, that helps a few things click in to place.
I have been working on my light balance for about 6 months now, maybe 4 small changes, I backed my led percentage back 6% to start.
I think my leds were too"fierce", I'm only just getting the confidence back to try a few nice ones again! ;)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His name is Pikachu.

and rather than eat any green algae, he seems to have eaten some purple off my rocks :(
Yeah,
They can eat some coralline. Can ;Wideyed you see tracks #####, in it's path?

(lol)
Pikachu!!!

:D

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
They can eat some coralline. Can ;Wideyed you see tracks #####, in it's path?

(lol)
Pikachu!!!

:D

Yeah, there is a nice white circle and a white line that I think were solid purple before. I need to mount two frags this weekend, I may pick him up and stick his face into the green macro algae and see if it likes it. I tend to grow coralline pretty well, we'll see how big his appetite is. It would be great if he's eat it off the glass before the rocks o_O

I do run my Mg at Blue Bucket levels thou, with him I may slowly bring it up another 100 for coralline.

Still waiting on Divers Den or TSM to find me another fish.

I'd say all the new SPS look the same, but everything has huge PE. None of my fish are coral nippers, so the PE makes me feel all is well.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was the same until the urchin. I've always though urchins were super cool thou and had researched tuxedo's before. We'll see how he does, then I'll fluconazole, then I'll try vibrant. The bad thing about hydroids is that meds for them, fish bendazole, might be hard on inverts, so I'll probably wait them out rather than dose.

I will say after looking at his preference for coralline over green, maybe I should have tried the emerald

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back