Coco worm success?

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone currently having success keeping coco worms for more than 6 months? Do you feed any planktonic foods and what do you feed? Currently the only NPS organism I have is a sun coral and I feed using an auto feeder set to feed 6 times in 24 hours. I'm feeding reef roids, spirulina powder, golden pearls, frozen calanus, frozen fish eggs, frozen rotifers, and Red Sea coral food in an auto feeder.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six colonies of sun corals. They should be target fed with larger foods like brine shrimp or mysis. Is your worm out often? Mine is easily spooked so I broadcast feed, but I have a lot of other NPS critters. If yours is not easily spooked, feed so that the current will bring the food to it. Mine get fed Reefroids, phyto and oyster eggs.

OP
OP
J

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying! I target feed my sun coral when I see it open but it currently only opens at night. I'm hoping the sun coral gets enough to eat between the fish eggs, copepods, and 1mm pellet food from the auto feeder overnight. I don't have a worm currently, I wanted to make sure I could actually acquire the food for it before I made a purchase. What type and where do you get your phyto from? And how long have you had your coco worm?

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Coco worm for almost 8.5 months now. It appears to be doing OK and has extended its tube since introduction. I have a mixed reef with a fair few NPS corals (gorgonians, sun corals etc). I feed phytoplankton, Reefroids, the normal frozen food buffet for the fish etc (lobster/fish eggs, mysis, krill, brineshrimp etc) plus LPS pellets for the LPS occassionally.

This was it in July 2020.

coco250720.png

Here it is as of January 2021 (top down photo).

cocotd150121_orig.png

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one and i put it in the sand is that s good place or should it be on a rock like yours also would it eat oyster feast or tdo pellets

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried mine in the sand. I don’t see why it wouldn’t do OK there as long as it doesn’t keep getting moved around a lot. The main thing is not to blast it with too much flow.

I wish I had access to Oyster feast, sadly it’s not available in the UK. :(

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading that right, you are feeding frozen food with an autofeeder? How do you get it to not spoil, do you load it each day?
Is anyone currently having success keeping coco worms for more than 6 months? Do you feed any planktonic foods and what do you feed? Currently the only NPS organism I have is a sun coral and I feed using an auto feeder set to feed 6 times in 24 hours. I'm feeding reef roids, spirulina powder, golden pearls, frozen calanus, frozen fish eggs, frozen rotifers, and Red Sea coral food in an auto feeder.

OP
OP
J

jap783

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I was feeding a mix of everything on a peristaltic pump and changing everyday. A couple weeks of that and I was over it. Now all dried foods are fed via an Eheim auto feeder and the frozen/refrigerated foods are fed manually 3 days a week. I decided against any feather dusters because I eventually want to get a copperband butterfly. Unless... anyone has successfully mixed the two?

brooky89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Coco worm for almost 8.5 months now. It appears to be doing OK and has extended its tube since introduction. I have a mixed reef with a fair few NPS corals (gorgonians, sun corals etc). I feed phytoplankton, Reefroids, the normal frozen food buffet for the fish etc (lobster/fish eggs, mysis, krill, brineshrimp etc) plus LPS pellets for the LPS occassionally.

This was it in July 2020.

coco250720.png

Here it is as of January 2021 (top down photo).

cocotd150121_orig.png
Hi there I am just wondering if you would know what is this stuff coming from my Coco worm, read up about it and Think it maybe Coco worm sperm is this true if you would know? Was floating everywhere in my tank Like a clear skin type stuff, wondering where it came from and then looked at my Coco worm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 122

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I am just wondering if you would know what is this stuff coming from my Coco worm, read up about it and Think it maybe Coco worm sperm is this true if you would know? Was floating everywhere in my tank Like a clear skin type stuff, wondering where it came from and then looked at my Coco worm.
I have never caught mine doing this sadly. It certainly sounds like it could have been spawning. Did the skin type stuff easily break apart in the flow?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back