College Dorm Reef Tank!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time came and went so fast and now I am in college! the fish survived the move and are sitting behind me as I write this still asleep.

For the move, I used 2, 5 gallon buckets and 2 styrofoam coolers for the fish. One bucket had corals and inverts, the other had my rock, and then each cooler for the goby and clown pair respectively. I decided to keep the sand during the move in order to preserve bacteria but it ended up causing a very slight ammonia spike that quickly disappeared overnight.

I will send pictures of the tank once everything has settled down and the lights turn on. So far though there are no casualties that I can see and everything is well. My only issue is that I had to flip the tank so My flow is off and will need to be played with to get it right again.
Best of luck with school this year! Glad the fish survived

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time came and went so fast and now I am in college! the fish survived the move and are sitting behind me as I write this still asleep.

For the move, I used 2, 5 gallon buckets and 2 styrofoam coolers for the fish. One bucket had corals and inverts, the other had my rock, and then each cooler for the goby and clown pair respectively. I decided to keep the sand during the move in order to preserve bacteria but it ended up causing a very slight ammonia spike that quickly disappeared overnight.

I will send pictures of the tank once everything has settled down and the lights turn on. So far though there are no casualties that I can see and everything is well. My only issue is that I had to flip the tank so My flow is off and will need to be played with to get it right again.
Glad to hear the move went smooth! Goodluck on the college adventure. I'm going back to college soon aswell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71466074943__98EEF693-FD23-4DD8-8E45-5CA7BF2B42FD.jpeg
71510713143__F923B411-DC4E-48DF-A496-4506160A232D.jpeg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some recent pictures of everyone!

Did a bunch of research on hardy Acroporas and found the PC Rainbow Acro, changes colors with lower lighting levels and grows relatively fast. Sign me up!!! My first time trying it out and luckily if all goes wrong I’m not out too much cash and hopefully the fact it is hardy will help me figure things out with my first SPS!

Any tips would be helpful since this is my first one and how to get some growth on this!
71520542305__5308EB8E-240F-491F-84AE-317F0C5CA1B1.jpeg
71520515491__14F681A2-A9B9-4AE9-9013-3940DA781E54.jpeg
IMG_4817.jpeg
IMG_4812.jpeg
IMG_4810.jpeg
71519023896__D0A320E5-2722-4C34-BE56-10CECE7A19D9.jpeg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks after moving in and so far so good!

Only had 1 casualty being my anemone crab. This is the 2nd one that has unexpectedly died in my tank. Every other invert is thriving (including the pistol shrimp I added day one) so I’m just going to stop trying on the porcelain crabs.

Having some trouble getting my Alk stable which is causing some problems with my newly acquired acros, but the LPS corals seem to be doing ok and are more open now then they’ve ever been. I make sure it is at 9dkh before a water change, and then it seems to drop and sit at around 4dkh throughout the week.

My rocks are starting to turn green so next week I’m going to try my hand at growing coralline algae (I started with dry rock) and seeing if it’ll get a hold.

On the brighter side, the frogspawn I added about a month ago is in the process of splitting heads which is super cool to see. The pistol shrimp is larger every time I see it (once a week if I’m lucky lol). And we have a new member!

I was heartbroken after my fire shrimp Jonas randomly died almost 2 months ago. So I added another skunk cleaner shrimp (not a fire shrimp because that would’ve hurt my wallet) and it has “hosted” my frogspawn sitting under the tentacles all day!

71616084935__31DD14EA-4EDE-4519-A342-22896C49EF98.jpeg
IMG_5015.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks after moving in and so far so good!

Only had 1 casualty being my anemone crab. This is the 2nd one that has unexpectedly died in my tank. Every other invert is thriving (including the pistol shrimp I added day one) so I’m just going to stop trying on the porcelain crabs.

Having some trouble getting my Alk stable which is causing some problems with my newly acquired acros, but the LPS corals seem to be doing ok and are more open now then they’ve ever been. I make sure it is at 9dkh before a water change, and then it seems to drop and sit at around 4dkh throughout the week.

My rocks are starting to turn green so next week I’m going to try my hand at growing coralline algae (I started with dry rock) and seeing if it’ll get a hold.

On the brighter side, the frogspawn I added about a month ago is in the process of splitting heads which is super cool to see. The pistol shrimp is larger every time I see it (once a week if I’m lucky lol). And we have a new member!

I was heartbroken after my fire shrimp Jonas randomly died almost 2 months ago. So I added another skunk cleaner shrimp (not a fire shrimp because that would’ve hurt my wallet) and it has “hosted” my frogspawn sitting under the tentacles all day!

71616084935__31DD14EA-4EDE-4519-A342-22896C49EF98.jpeg
IMG_5015.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg
Unfortunately thats just part of reefing, win some lose some. Glad everything else is thriving!

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone hope you’re having a fine day!

I know I sure am because my tank is still doing good despite forgetting to do a water change and forgetting to replace my 5 month old carbon lol.

Thanks to the kindness of @James Bardwell who helped my tank looks amazing with some new corals and advice he supplied me with. I’m still amazed at this community every day and how well people help eachother. It truly is one of the wonders of this hobby!

Anyway back to the reason you’re all here for an Update!!!

I have added a red montipora, purple and green stag horns, as well as a hammer coral to my tank! Oh and don’t forget the BTA! Everything except the purple stag seem to be doing great! My frogspawn I believe has finished splitting its head and is massive.

Recent issues have been diatoms in the sandbed which I have a great sandbed team that wasn’t doing its job until one night I woke up to a perfectly clean sandbed! Another issue is that I have a cyphastrea on the way out due to poor placement as a noob. But just another learning curve! I also battling Zoa eating nudibranchs, I kill one, and then 5 more seem to come back. So not sure how long that’ll last but whatever it’s an easy problem.

My newest project I am looking forward to is keeping 1 (or a pair) of ruby red dragonets in a nano tank by getting them on frozen foods and even pellets. This is a far fetched dream but someday I hope for it to be a reality that will lead to the keeping of a mandarin.

And finally some pictures!
71709123957__BF27ECA0-A697-4169-B0AD-47AB5170E3EA.jpeg
71709122835__115DF444-5FF2-42F8-A4AE-D8BB94E4542B.jpeg
71709120059__DCB83213-48B0-4D9B-85E3-6277FA25C2B7.jpeg
71709121485__018D277D-2FF8-4F56-842E-0B4DAAF81CEF.jpeg
71683201755__D4727968-C298-4131-8B96-04B84F0BA3C6.jpeg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one cool little tank, I wish I had the guts to set a nano up in college.
The logistics of it were the hardest part. And nanos are easy as long as you do water changes!!! I definitely have a huge bio load with 3 fish a bunch of corals and inverts, but it’s definitely manageable

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The logistics of it were the hardest part. And nanos are easy as long as you do water changes!!! I definitely have a huge bio load with 3 fish a bunch of corals and inverts, but it’s definitely manageable
i remember my first 10g. It woulda been a great dorm tank, but I decided to keep it at home.
I'm glad you can manage it! Can't wait to see more.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate event…

I went home for the weekend and came back to my BTA anemone in pieces around my tank and filter. So the one time I decided to leave it decided that was the time to walk into the powerhead. Luckily nothing else was harmed but still a sad day. It was a gorgeous anemone but lesson learned, get a nem guard!

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the tank is doing well and thanks for the update! I'd love to see a full tank shot if you can snap one!
IMG_5364.jpeg

There’s some areas I would like to flesh out a little more, but instead of adding new ones I’m going to let the ones I have grow out except for the bottom left of the arch I’m going to put my pipe organ or a new coral there

Last edited:
OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! I see tons of pods on my glass and I didn’t even add them! Very happy that they are repopulating and thriving in my tank without having the cost of them. I am kind of stuck and need some help deciding my next steps. My tank is as healthy as can be (obviously not perfect), but I have had success (so far lol) with fish, inverts, soft corals, Lps and a few SPS corals that are starting to base out and show growth. I am definitely not bored of the hobby as I know that I’ll fall into multiple tank syndrome soon and get to start anew! Basically I am wondering what people do when their tank is pretty much full or close to it and how do you keep the spark alive while maintaining! I am mostly excited to see the tank fully established and covered in corals come a year or so. If there’s one lesson from this tank it’s that I went way too fast and didn’t appreciate the process and just wanted the end result which doesn’t really work out too well in this hobby. I would say my first tank is successful so far and I can’t wait to see what it develops into. I will be posting updates less frequently as there is not much to update on at this point. Thank you all for sticking with me in my first ever feeding journey! Hopefully I’ll have a new build thread to work on soon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back