Colony move

WW123

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2021
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Location
New Market
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new Red Sea Reefer 350 and the tank is just now finished cycling. I have a large GSP that took over a 6-8 pound rock in my current system. I planned to move that whole rock to the new tank but I’m concerned that will cause water quality to drop since this rock has been in system for 3 years already and has the detritus inside to show for it, I’m sure.

Looking for your thoughts on if that’s a real concern or if it’s no different than buying a large colony on live rock at the LFS.
 
I recently set up a new Red Sea Reefer 350 and the tank is just now finished cycling. I have a large GSP that took over a 6-8 pound rock in my current system. I planned to move that whole rock to the new tank but I’m concerned that will cause water quality to drop since this rock has been in system for 3 years already and has the detritus inside to show for it, I’m sure.

Looking for your thoughts on if that’s a real concern or if it’s no different than buying a large colony on live rock at the LFS.

If your worried rinse the rock in a fresh bucket of salt water using a powerhead to blow out as much as you can.
 
Upvote 0
hi, just give it a swish in a bucket of saltwater, get some debris out of it,
it will help you stable new tank.. :)
 
Upvote 0
If your worried rinse the rock in a fresh bucket of salt water using a powerhead to blow out as much as you can.
Ha. See that’s why I came on this forum. Such. Simple and obvious solution that just didn’t occur to me. Thank you.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new