Color loss in one spot?

Naturalreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
747
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good evening!

My Tgc cherry bomb Acro lost color in one spot since yesterday. I have never seen this happen on any of my other acros and am curious. It doesn’t look like tissue loss and there are polyps out in that area. Also doesn’t look like bleaching as polyps are always out. I did see my blue tuxedo cleaning the cherry bomb yesterday. Can urchins cause that kind of color loss via cleaning? There was no algae on the coral.


Radion G5 Blue ~10 hours using WWC template at 50% intensity
PH 8.4
DKH 8.4
NO3...10
PO4... .03
1.025 salinity
magnesium 1300
calcium 450


97706482-3351-4CA7-8EDC-845AE61DE93D.jpeg
 
Yes, urchins can damage the skin of the acro, my pencils have done it numerous times. The color will come back, but keep an eye on it since it is smaller
 
Thanks CC, that was what my gut was telling me too. I have had all types of urchins for 15 years without them ever damaging a acro, which is why I was curious.
 
They can be very rough when cleaning around sticks, mine have really scrape some of mine up good. It should get its color back in a week or two
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new