Coloring up a Browned out Red Planet

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have posted this in Icemountain's thread about RP lighting requirments but didnt want to hijack.

So I have a nice size piece of Red Planet which is now of the brown turd variety. I browned mine out about 7-8 months ago and cant get it colored up again. Actually I browned and bleached out allot of SPS. I'm nor sure what the original cause was at that time way too many variables. Anyway all but all but this one either colored up again or are still in the process of coloring up, just not my Red Planet.

Since this happened it has at least doubled in size, encrusted the 2" diameter plug its on and some of the surrounding rock. It has about 50% PE from what it had when I first got it. It was supper hairy when I got it. I have tried this thing up high low and everywhere in between with no change in any direction, not for better or worse.

I do run LEDs (Radion) 14k to 18k then back to 14K with intensity ramping over a 10- 11 hour period and currently have it placed in a 280-290 par range. (I know par readings on leds can be somewhat inaccurate)

Below are my parameters. So how do I get it to color up again without changing the chemistry of the whole tank? Should I just give it up?
After all everything else is thriving im not going to change anything that could effect the entire tank for one brown coral.

PO4: .01-.02
Ph: 7.9-8.1
AlK: 8.7-9.1 DKH
CA: 420-440
NO2/NO3: undetectable
SG: 1.025-1.026
Temp: 78-79f

28 gallons
WC: 20% every three weeks, runs carbon, small amount of GFO , and recently an ATS for filtration
using kalk in ATO along with 6ml each of two part through BRS doser
Feed twice a day. a mix of rodgers reef, reef nutrition oyster eggs, brine, and sometimes a little flake all in the early after noon then after lights out late evening I feed reef chili, reef nutrition phyto feast and have just begun and elos amino acid and coral food regimen.

Ideas?

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it for pests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have mentioned no pests. Its pretty darn health actually and it growing well mostly its just a color issue. All other SPS are kicking butt right now and have colored up nicley and have excellent PE. Keep in mind this has been going on with particular coral for at least 6 months now. It is growing well but even the new growth is brown.

Perhaps this will just be one of those corals that dosnt do well in my tank for some unknown reason. Perhaps its just going to take allot more time to color up??

Looks just like this one same color and PE.

cuts023.jpg

OP
OP
WillKatt

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are all the other sps colored up now?

For the most part yes, Many are looking really nice again. Some still have a ways to go imo but have at least made huge progress. Honestly some that I thought were just dead practically white skeletons have even come back.

All the new corals I have deed since this incident in the last couple months are doing great as well. I'm almost tempted to just get another piece an see what happens but on the other hand perhaps I just need to continue being patient. If its still growing perhaps color will eventually follow?

Thanks for your comment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back