Colour spectrum or intensity to keep corals open?

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've got a question regarding lighting. What aspect of it keeps the corals open?
Is it the wavelength or intensity? Or both?

I have a Maxpsect Jump M-J165 Light, which so far has been performing well for me.
Couple of days ago I realised I do not enjoy how the tank looks. I want to have it so the corals pop in the evenings when I actually have a chance to view the tank, but I don't want it to bright, if possible.
I reduced most of the white colour and went down considerably on intensity for both the UV and royal blue channels, to where I find the tank visually pleasing in the evenings.

Sadly this resulted in some corals going to sleep "prematurely".
Nearly all pipe organ corals close, the euphylias shrink, briareum closes up.

I marked which corals I have the issue with and more or less how the light is. Please mind this looks nothing like in person

Should I leave it as is for now and let them adjust?
Should I bring it up?
ynw1IiH.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered your own questions:

"I reduced most of the white colour and went down considerably on intensity for both the UV and royal blue channels, to where I find the tank visually pleasing in the evenings.
Sadly this resulted in some corals going to sleep "prematurely"."

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^
You just went beyond their threshold for photosynthesis. If you like heavy blue for your evenings just turn the white diodes off. They’ll stay active under only blues if the intensity is high enough.

OP
OP
Simsung

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^
You just went beyond their threshold for photosynthesis. If you like heavy blue for your evenings just turn the white diodes off. They’ll stay active under only blues if the intensity is high enough.

Thank you :) This is exactly what I was looking for.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dialing in a bit of white or green if you can. I've tried the royal / actinic only mode on a lot of different tanks and coral and over a period of time the lack of longer wavelegths seems to screw up the light cycle on some corals, especially softies and LPS. Some start closing early or not at all. Doesn't take much....just a little bit of longer wavelength.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back