Companies and building ecosystems

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been wondering this for a while now, but especially more now since Bertram bought Ecotech (and by default Aqua Illuminations). Looking at our various monitoring and reef controllers, I wonder why more companies don't partner to make devices compatible with controllers. It feels like to get decent control, companies have to acquire one another. SICCE made the leap and is a part of the Apex/Fusion ecosystem while still remaining an autonomous brand... Why aren't other companies chomping at the bit to do this?

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been wondering this for a while now, but especially more now since Bertram bought Ecotech (and by default Aqua Illuminations). Looking at our various monitoring and reef controllers, I wonder why more companies don't partner to make devices compatible with controllers. It feels like to get decent control, companies have to acquire one another. SICCE made the leap and is a part of the Apex/Fusion ecosystem while still remaining an autonomous brand... Why aren't other companies chomping at the bit to do this?
I know this is gonna sound like a "cop out" kind of answer, but the reality is because whatever incentive there is to not do it is stronger than the incentive to do it.

Ecotech and Neptune use to work together (you could control the vortechs with an apex module) and then they stopped working together. Neptune claimed it was because of EcoTech (that's my understanding anyway) but that doesn't really matter, the decision was made because they believed it would be better for their company to not do business that way anymore.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is gonna sound like a "cop out" kind of answer, but the reality is because whatever incentive there is to not do it is stronger than the incentive to do it.

Ecotech and Neptune use to work together (you could control the vortechs with an apex module) and then they stopped working together. Neptune claimed it was because of EcoTech (that's my understanding anyway) but that doesn't really matter, the decision was made because they believed it would be better for their company to not do business that way anymore.
It totally seems counterintuitive, lol. I mean, I suppose there are factors I'm not considering from their side, but at the same time "Our device works with these 2 popular controllers" seems like a win-win.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It totally seems counterintuitive, lol. I mean, I suppose there are factors I'm not considering from their side, but at the same time "Our device works with these 2 popular controllers" seems like a win-win.
I hear you, that's how I feel too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back