Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice looking set up!
Glad to see more manufacturers (like Royal Exclusive) are doing filter rollers. I really like they did the stand alone/drop in roller for people with pre-existing sumps.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is also the sk5000. Not sure what the eBay one is. I order direct from Steve since he gives a discount ordering direct vs ordering from him on eBay. His email is [email protected]. I would contact him directly. He will send you a PP invoice via email. Nice guy I’ve ordered from him twice already.

This is very helpful!
I reached out to him yesterday and will get 2 rolls to start. The clarisea rolls are just too expensive.

I know this is kind of an older thread but for anyone know how his rolls are performing lately? Are they the same size as the clarisea XL rolls?

Last edited:

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stock sumps will the ClariSea SK-5000 fit?
Or, what would fit my current sump that just has a 4" x 11" opening where the downpipes enter.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you every worry that the filter rolls may have been exposed to or have any chemicals in the sheets of fleece? @KenO

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What stock sumps will the ClariSea SK-5000 fit?
Or, what would fit my current sump that just has a 4" x 11" opening where the downpipes enter.
You need an opening of the following dimensions 5.75" x 10" to fit the unit in the sump. The top is larger than 5.75" too because of the roll and motor. Can check out all the specs Clarisea sk5000

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very helpful!
I reached out to him yesterday and will get 2 rolls to start. The clarisea rolls are just too expensive.

I know this is kind of an older thread but for anyone know how his rolls are performing lately? Are they the same size as the clarisea XL rolls?
Someone on this thread compared the length of the rolls. I believe they are the same length. I have been using the rolls since my first post. I also picked up a 3000 model and have been using his rolls for the 3000. Honestly I like his rolls better vs the ClariSea. I am at the point now where I only have to change the rolls every 8+ weeks.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you every worry that the filter rolls may have been exposed to or have any chemicals in the sheets of fleece? @KenO
I never thought about it. I run ATI water test often. Other than a tin issue I had because of a rusting float switch in my RO/DI, I am not seeing anything on my water test results.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on this thread compared the length of the rolls. I believe they are the same length. I have been using the rolls since my first post. I also picked up a 3000 model and have been using his rolls for the 3000. Honestly I like his rolls better vs the ClariSea. I am at the point now where I only have to change the rolls every 8+ weeks.

Clarisea says the XL version is 40 meters (131'). The rolls I got from Precon are listed as 50 yards so 150'

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rolls should arrive to me by Tuesday. It will be a while before I get to use one as I'm not even half way through the clarisea roll I put on 2 weeks ago but that was the last roll I had.

I will update with my experience once I start using the new roll.

Last edited:

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any Trigger Systems Platinum Sump owner had success with Preconfilters?
Their 150' rolls seem to come in 1 1/4" diameter cores and Steve @ Preconfilters only carries 2" and 3" cores.
I wonder if anyone has been able to use 2" cores.
Also the 150' long 10" wide PP15 roll ends up being more expensive than the Trigger systems branded one. Steve suggested 0.5oz or 1.0oz polypropylene. Does anyone have experience with those materials?
Thanks!

aecombie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Theiling Compact, and I’ve been using the coolant filter paper from preconfilters. The material is different from the brand name stuff in that it’s more absorbent, causing the new side to become wet as well. It’s also harder to remove because it tends to wind much tighter on the used side. I usually have to unravel the whole thing, smelling the stench, in order to get it off. However, it’s much more economical, and lasts much longer. I was only getting about two weeks per roll with the factory brand floss, and now I’m getting a little over a month out if the preconfilters.

Last edited:

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Theiling Compact, and I’ve been using the coolant filter paper from preconfilters. The material is different from the brand name stuff in that it’s more absorbent, causing the new side to become wet as well. It’s also harder to remove because it tends to wind much tighter on the used side. I usually have to unravel the whole thing, smelling the stench, in order to get it off. However, it’s much more economical, and lasts much longer. I was only getting about two weeks per roll with the factory brand floss, and now I’m getting a little over a month out if the preconfilters.
So are you using the cheaper blended roll, or the more expensive polypropylene roll?

aecombie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you using the cheaper blended roll, or the more expensive polypropylene roll?
I’m using the cheaper, blended roll. I haven’t tried the polypropylene rolls. If you do, please keep me posted on how you like them.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the cheaper, blended roll. I haven’t tried the polypropylene rolls. If you do, please keep me posted on how you like them.
Any problems using the cheaper one aside from the absorption? No issues with livestock related to formaldehyde? Any skimmer issues with new rolls?

aecombie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems using the cheaper one aside from the absorption? No issues with livestock related to formaldehyde? Any skimmer issues with new rolls?

I haven’t had any issues losing livestock. My skimmer does act funny at times - not producing much skim, then all of a sudden dumping a bunch of clear skimmate into my skimmate locker. I’m not sure if that’s a due to a skimmer setting issue, user issue, or because of the filter rolls. My tank is only about 18 months old, and I’ve been using the preconfilters for almost a year. I think my skimmer’s been doing this since I first installed it, but honestly can’t recall.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any Trigger Systems Platinum Sump owner had success with Preconfilters?
Their 150' rolls seem to come in 1 1/4" diameter cores and Steve @ Preconfilters only carries 2" and 3" cores.
I wonder if anyone has been able to use 2" cores.
Also the 150' long 10" wide PP15 roll ends up being more expensive than the Trigger systems branded one. Steve suggested 0.5oz or 1.0oz polypropylene. Does anyone have experience with those materials?
Thanks!
@MikeTheNewbie Any luck? I'm looking for 10" replacement rolls and can't find anything. Trigger is sold out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back