Complaints about Nick Bingo

What do you think of Nick Bingo?

• Don't approve of his methods

• Like what he does, Keep up the good work!

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who aren't familiar with Nick Bingo, he is an American Youtuber who lives in Florida. He is known for having undertaken many projects, one of which was a huge saltwater pond. Which he did twice. But frankly, for people who understand the hobby, you'll see that he actually isn't a good example, and he is very reckless with what he does, taking into little consideration the health of the fish he keeps. I think he needs to be more educated about this hobby and the simple things before he starts doing massive projects that can backfire, because money isn't always what you need in this hobby...
For one, he doesn't know the name of any animal! He will look at a firefish goby, (which lets be honest is a very popular and well known fish for people who know even just a little about saltwater tanks), and call it a blenny! Or he'll call a fish a tang when its clearly not that!
Second, the way he acclimates his fish. I was watching a video of his entitled "SALTWATER FISH SHOPPING SPREE For My AQUARIUMS!! *NEW FISH and CORAL*" , where he goes to WorldWIdeCorals and purchases some fish and some corals (he walks around the store like he owns the place but can't name a firefish), then gets home and acclimates them: WHERE HE DOESNT ACCLIMATE PROPERLY AT ALL. Drip acclimation should be like, 1 drop per second for like, at least 45mins, but he just sucks the tube and puts it in, releasing a full jet into the bucket full of fish! Drip acclimation is something all hobbyists need to learn, no matter saltwater, reef or freshwater!
Lastly, the way he shows fish to the camera. He picks them up with a net *OR HIS HANDS* and shows them to the camera, keeping them out of the water for extended periods of time which could be unsafe for the fish! If you check out the video above (where he goes to WWC) he picks up almost all his fish and its clear to see they are not enjoying this!

In conclusion, I don't mean to show hate to Nick Bingo, his videos can be entertaining, I just hope he sees this and learns that YOU NEED TO LEARN BEFORE YOU BUY in this hobby! Especially if young kids watch your videos, they will get the wrong information!
Tell me what you think of Nick Bingo, I would love to hear your opinions!

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay seriously though, I think it's something not that goes on far far more than we think. The people we will interact with on forums or clubs will already be the ones who do their research and know their stuff (or are learning). However people like him are widespread everywhere IMO, especially in this hobby, just ask your local fish shop guy. That, and having to constantly come up with ridiculous content for views gives a very bad representation of our hobby.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never watched him but not knowing the names of common fish but still taking on massive projects sounds a bit silly.

Acclimation is a whole other subject. I never drip acclimate fish and haven’t since I started about 10yrs ago. But I can understand your frustration. He probably shows general lack of care and responsibility for his animals.

Ill have to look him up. I have a feeling I may have came across a video or two of his.

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not fair. There are good reefing YouTubers who care a lot about the hobby and animals under their care.
For sure, it was just a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. There are amazing youtubers on every topic you can think off, just that you do have to be careful on the whole when deciding who to take information from and who to not, especially when it comes to live animals.

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
okay here is my personal opinion, I love that he loves animals and wants to share his daily life and animal keeping on youtube. The only thing about this is, you need to know what your doing and talking about before puting videos like his out to the public.

He just lacks knowledge for the aquarium hobby which is fine (No one is perfect). It makes me upset to see him have all of these 100, 200, 30 gallon aquariums that he barely even knows how to maintain. He needs to take a step back before making impulse purchases.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seems like a kid trying to make money off youtube by getting more views. Seems to have a bunch of tanks set up but none particularly cared for or nice looking. Like there isn’t much effort put into them.

Just about the views. Unfortunately a lot of channels on youtube are like this. And a lot of young kids watch them without knowing any better. Definitely a kids channel imo. Nothing informative about it.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a good example. I hate it when people hold fish out of the water for any amount of time that’s unnecessary. If you want to film a fish, get a 5 gallon drip acclimation/photography tank and take pics of it there. It’s safer for the fish, you’ll get better photos, and you can drip acclimate with style.

I watched one of his videos, his lack of compassion towards his livestock is terrifying. There’s so much outside that could harm a reef or saltwater ecosystem, pesticides, rainwater, bugs, smoke, plastic, pollution, etc etc the list goes on. I can’t imagine trying to hold a temperature out there either without massive dedication and effort, especially in Florida summer.

I view his videos and practices as harmful to the hobby, and as you said, young viewers are probably heavily influenced by the people they watch on YouTube and he is not a good example. Allowing the death of dozens of fish, improper care, not caring at all, and picking out living creatures from the shop tanks like they’re nothing sickens me. The way he houses and cares for his livestock is unacceptable to me, and probably a lot of people in the hobby.

Treating living creatures like they’re disposable is completely against all of my morals and to me, my tanks and everything calling them home are precious and I dedicate many many hours a week to their happiness. If a fish dies, I take it personally. I cry, figure out the cause, bury them with respects, it really hurts me when an animal becomes sick or dies in my care because I’m responsible for them and their well being, they rely on me to provide for them and I do not take that responsibility lightly.

I don’t like him, I don’t like his videos, and the way he treats his animals makes my guts twist in disgust. He shouldn’t be keeping animals, and he definitely shouldn’t be posting it on YouTube where it could lead others to believe that his practices are even close to acceptable

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another thing, I am 14yrs old and have been in the hobby for 4yrs. I definitely don’t know everything in the hobby and no one does. I know the basics of keeping a saltwater/reef tank. I bet majority of the people on here would definitely want to have 2-3 tanks. We can’t because we know how demanding they are to take care of. Nick barely knows the basics of keeping a saltwater tank. I feel that he doesn’t research he just goes off of others and what he hears. I am not saying he is a bad person but before he puts information about live animals on the internet, inexperienced or newbies will see his vids and think it’s okay for what he is doing. This is hurt not the fish but the community.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, it was just a bit of a tongue in cheek comment. There are amazing youtubers on every topic you can think off, just that you do have to be careful on the whole when deciding who to take information from and who to not, especially when it comes to live animals.
Yeah I get it, I really do. I’ve seen some pretty horrible stuff people have done for views and likes. The one i recall being the worst was a Tik tok’er who covered ducks in motor oil so she could post about rescuing them. A bunch of people called her out for inconsistency in the story and she eventually fessed up dipling them in dirty oil show she could make the video.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ooh the juicy stuff, also his pool ponds are ugly at least paul ( cuffaro ) got past his pool pond phase, and hires a professional to care for his reef.

I will say, nick has gotten slightly better, as recently he has acknowledged that he has to many animals to care for, so he has hired someone, but when you are getting new animals EVERY WEEK you have a problem.

I wouldn't be so hard on being a "youtubre" though, people such as reef dork and queen of reef truly care for their animals and everything they do relating to them. ( off course these are both very small channels )

I was almost about to use this as a moment to self promote, then I realized no one here would like the stuff I spit out about how to care for reefs, please do go check out reef dork and queen of reefs channels though :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7fkmuc6Oj2mp8lkDQd2jEQ ( dork )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPnqCBWHl9O62oeaDTC9X7Q ( queen )

Last edited by a moderator:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, I am 14yrs old and have been in the hobby for 4yrs. I definitely don’t know everything in the hobby and no one does. I know the basics of keeping a saltwater/reef tank. I bet majority of the people on here would definitely want to have 2-3 tanks. We can’t because we know how demanding they are to take care of. Nick barely knows the basics of keeping a saltwater tank. I feel that he doesn’t research he just goes off of others and what he hears. I am not saying he is a bad person but before he puts information about live animals on the internet, inexperienced or newbies will see his vids and think it’s okay for what he is doing. This is hurt not the fish but the community.
Yes! This exactly. Well put.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay seriously though, I think it's something not that goes on far far more than we think. The people we will interact with on forums or clubs will already be the ones who do their research and know their stuff (or are learning). However people like him are widespread everywhere IMO, especially in this hobby, just ask your local fish shop guy. That, and having to constantly come up with ridiculous content for views gives a very bad representation of our hobby.
Absolutely agree on that!

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention, do yalls notice anything missing in a bunch of his tanks??? CORAL..... fish can live and look nice in tons of situations, but coral needs good care to stay alive, and even open, he simply doesent have it because HE KNOWS that his tanks are badly cared for....

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back