OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I think I need a body in the tank to further this along. My numbers are all inline. My salinity tester was out of cal. I checked it with distilled water and it was reading 1.004 so I think it was out of spec. verified with my brewing hydrometer which puts the salinity at 1.025.
phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 500
KH 8
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Don't I need something now generating Ammonia? I think the live sand, live rock, live water, kick start and marine pure made it cycle fast? I had read somewhere that it normally takes 4-6 weeks but using all live stuff can cut the time in half.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should I wait and what type of nem for clowns? I seems I have read anemones are for well established tanks but was reading to also get them together for symb? Clowns start the tank? I'd like to start some corals as soon as I can too since they take a while to grow.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long should I wait and what type of nem for clowns? I seems I have read anemones are for well established tanks but was reading to also get them together for symb? Clowns start the tank? I'd like to start some corals as soon as I can too since they take a while to grow.
Welcome! My first reef tank was a biocube 32. I already feel like you are gonna go to fast. You really should think SLOW.

Honestly, Clownfish can be very aggressive. They will limit what else you can have in your tank. I would skip them entirely. Nems do need an established tank, and corals need nutrients in the water. Again, SLOW.

I would take out the "life rock" which is dead... and restart with some real ocean live rock. Embrace the hitchhikers! But that is just me. Check out my build thread to see why. Good luck!

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! My first reef tank was a biocube 32. I already feel like you are gonna go to fast. You really should think SLOW.

Honestly, Clownfish can be very aggressive. They will limit what else you can have in your tank. I would skip them entirely. Nems do need an established tank, and corals need nutrients in the water. Again, SLOW.

I would take out the "life rock" which is dead... and restart with some real ocean live rock. Embrace the hitchhikers! But that is just me. Check out my build thread to see why. Good luck!
I have 2 kids in the pool. I really don't intend to get a lot. really just want clowns and anemones. But would like to try a copepod fuge. For a future large tank I would get much much more.

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have a 29 biocube with a 32 stock lid. My tank is about 9 months old, and this group has been GREAT as I've been learning. Your set-up is almost identical to mine. I'm not running the fuge, but have the InTank media basket with floss and ChemiPure blue. I started with the elite, but when phosphates creeped up changed over to the blue. I am using Fritz Pro blue box, and having some issue with dropping alk, but otherwise my tank is awesome. Long way to go to the level of maturity, but overall, I'm happy! The only big issue I have is temp in the summer. In the winter I had no evaporation, but I leave my feeding lid open to help with the Texas heat during the summer, so I keep some RO water ready to add as needed.

Rageb1t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

When I started my current Biocube, I got the tank setup and added the Fritz bacteria for cycling. The fish shop talked me into adding my percula clowns right away. Mistake. Both clowns died in an hour or two. Not sure what happened but it could have been better. I agree with the SLOW plan. Slow is your friend.
Just my 2 cents!

Back