OP
OP
dan17bias

dan17bias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fresh and reef tabks at my house. I started with fresh tanks about 30 years ago and they can be a little easier to get away with mistakes and not having patience.

Reef tanks are a lot more work and a lot more involved. I love my reef tank a lot more then my fresh because it is so much involved. So many things can go wrong and you have to be on your toes daily. You can have a perfect tank one day and the next it crashes.

Check out these two links for some good info quarantine practices.

I totally get it... I had a successful fresh water tank for 5 years and when we moved i didnt have a spot for it so i gave it all to a friend. I renovated the a room and added i nice spot for this tank and man do i feel like a noob :) i appreciate the articles and will read them both.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. So sorry to hear of your losses. My LFS always has a not for sale sign on tanks with new fish they have in. They keep them for a couple of weeks before they will sell them. They would never sell the day after they get them. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Sorry your reefing journey started out with casualties. everything i would recommend doing has already been said so i will just reiterate ask questions and research. Every great reefer was once a noob.
giphy.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome66.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby and sorry for your losses... This hobby can be frustrating sometimes.

I have a couple of questions, that I am unsure if you already answered,

How big is the tank?

Did you rinse the Mysis shrimp before use?

What are you using to top off the tank?

Is there any Algae, Dino or Cyano growth?

Do you have enough flow for gas exchange?

It could be a multitude of things that could cause this and it could be as simple as the fish were diseased or as complicated as some kind of toxin leaching in...

Like some others have said I would maybe start with a single clown before adding anything else and see what happens, keep a close eye on it for disease and stress.

Another thing that would be helpful is pictures of the set-up.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, there are so many variables that it may be tough to pinpoint the issue but definitely keep asking questions as everyone here are very helpful!

Welcome to the R2R community and happy reefing!!

giphy.gif

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Lots of good things have already been brought up, but I'll add my thoughts and say this could be previous issues from the store or a disease (which also came from the store). It is a very good practice to quarantine everything that goes into your system, for many reasons. You'll get everything figured out try not to get discouraged. Patience and time will help a lot with a new system.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back