Completing my first tank

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently about to start the cycle for my 5 gallon Marineland portrait tank, but before I do so, I have some questions.

1. What are some hardy, beginner soft corals that would do well in a pico tank?
2. Will starting out with a few soft corals be enough to sustain the bacteria population in the tank?
3. If not, would purchasing some inverts or maybe even one or two fish help?

Thanks to anyone who responds

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

1). Zoas are a good bet though preferably slower growing varieties. Most commonly suggested hardy beginner corals often grow fast and large and not ideal for pico.

2). Bacteria populations dont require coral at all. Rock and food are all that is needed. Usually that food is from feeding fish or coral food. In a pico it takes very little food to sustain a bacteria population and the concern is going to be too much food.

3). I would suggest a couple snails and maybe crabs. Not so much to sustain bacteria but to help recycle nutrients(cleaning glass, etc)

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

1). Zoas are a good bet though preferably slower growing varieties. Most commonly suggested hardy beginner corals often grow fast and large and not ideal for pico.

2). Bacteria populations dont require coral at all. Rock and food are all that is needed. Usually that food is from feeding fish or coral food. In a pico it takes very little food to sustain a bacteria population and the concern is going to be too much food.

3). I would suggest a couple snails and maybe crabs. Not so much to sustain bacteria but to help recycle nutrients(cleaning glass, etc)
Thanks for the great information! Would any kind of hermit crabs or snails suffice and how many should I purchase for a 5 gallon tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back