Complex in wall stand ideas

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang, well I had my offer accepted on a new house and of course all I can think about is my monster tank build. It is going to be an I wall. 10 foot long, 30" high and probably 3 or 4 feet deep. The thing is i dont want to have it sit flush with the wall, i want it like 2 or 3 inches outside the wall like in the picture.

How would i accomplish this? Piece of 1/4" steel beneath the whole tank? I suppose it's not THAT much weight on the edge and it is going to be acrylic tank but still. We are taking in the 600 gallon range. That is some serious damage if things go wrong.
wall-fish-tanks-2.jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steel would be a nice clean look like the picture. I built a stand for a 75 gallon that was only supported on one end like it was floating in the air by sandwiching 2x4s and 3/4 inch plywood under the tank.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a job for a structural engineer to look at. Mine has done calculations for me for around $600-$800 if I don’t need full stamped drawings. Might be worth it for the peace of mind. I don’t think a piece of 1/4” steel will yield much support with a tank that size.

One other thought I had to offer is that the Red Sea Reefers all overhang their stand by at least 3/4”. Not much but it’s something.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bet that strip of metal under the tank is on the whole bottom of the tank. Not just the over hang.

Ridgeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise it's a very simple deflection calculation that needs to be made, you can overhang as much as you want with the right amount of support and steel is cheap. If it's only a 2-3" then a correctly sized full plate will enough, beyond that i'd consider a reinforced concrete plinth, there's an aquarium near me that's built like that, i'll see if i can find a link to it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back