Confused - Burnt Acro Tips - SPS Help

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused on all the info I learn and pitting it to use in my tank. Have 5 acros 2 that are doing well and a couple that had burnt tips.

Tank is about year and a half.

Alk - 8.3-8.6
Ph - 8.0-8.2
Nitrates - 15
Phosphate - 0.13-0.16
Calcium - 455
Magnesium - 1365
Temp - 77-78
Salinity - 1.026

x3 mp40s antisync - reefcrest 90%
t5/radion(x4) with par no higher than 300

From a local that sold me my frags, said that alk is likely too high but nutrients are pretty decent. He has large colonies. Then I am told by others or read that. Alk where mine is now is perfect too. He also keeps his par no higher then 280.

Just not sure how to keep my acro frags thriving so they can encrust, and eventually grow into mini colonies instead of tips burning out and dying. Please help.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters should not be burning tips. My money is on your LFS using much lower par than what you are giving them and it's acclimation stress. Try putting them in 150-200 par fpr a few days before putting them in the 200+ par and see if the tip burn stops.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, we're the across you purchased already starting to encrust on the plug when you purchased them? If not fresh cut frags can tip burn pretty easy just adjusting to new parameters. Best to buy only partially encrusted frags whenever possible.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters should not be burning tips. My money is on your LFS using much lower par than what you are giving them and it's acclimation stress. Try putting them in 150-200 par fpr a few days before putting them in the 200+ par and see if the tip burn stops.

Yeah it is a local reefer. He said he keeps his par around 250 with alk or 7.5. When I got them I placed them on egg crate in the sand bed for a fews days before I had time to mount them. Had them since April 30th. Had great polyp extension on them for awhile. I honestly need a magnetic frag frag so I can use that as a light acclimator, or I can use the light acclimation feature on the radions.

Also, we're the across you purchased already starting to encrust on the plug when you purchased them? If not fresh cut frags can tip burn pretty easy just adjusting to new parameters. Best to buy only partially encrusted frags whenever possible.

None of them were encrusted. Now my Oregon blue tort and purple plasma have already started encrusting the plug. The others not yet.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe lower your alkalinity to 7.5-8.0 and see how they do? You won’t hurt anything doing so.
Yeah I actually am in the process of lowering them to that range. I just don’t understand why it is necessary when so many people have theirs parameters where mine are, given the age of my tank (1 1/2 years), flow and light. I thought my levels were considered almost perfect.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I actually am in the process of lowering them to that range. I just don’t understand why it is necessary when so many people have theirs parameters where mine are, given the age of my tank (1 1/2 years), flow and light. I thought my levels were considered almost perfect.
You're levels are perfectly fine where they are. I think his suggestion is more of a temporary stopgap just to help the acclimation process for these particular frags.

Where you normally keep your alk is much better long term IME. I like 9.0 myself because it's high enough that I can go 2-3 days without growth stopping if my alk drops (calcerous growth stops at 6ish), but is also low enough that I don't waste dosing on precipitation. 8.5 has a very similar benefit.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're levels are perfectly fine where they are. I think his suggestion is more of a temporary stopgap just to help the acclimation process for these particular frags.

Where you normally keep your alk is much better long term IME. I like 9.0 myself because it's high enough that I can go 2-3 days without growth stopping if my alk drops (calcerous growth stops at 6ish), but is also low enough that I don't waste dosing on precipitation. 8.5 has a very similar benefit.

It is just weird how it seemed it was thriving with polyp extension that was pretty good, and 3-4 weeks later this happens? That can still be an acclimation issue?

Acros are so confusing lol. Even when you think you have everything pretty stable they hate you.

I don't understand, if you are "burning your acro tips" why don't you just move them down so they get less light?

Literally where that piece is, the par is around 250 according to when I got my tank mapped. I mean it is an acro, should do very well in 250 par which compared to majority I feel is very low.

Burning tips can be caused by a swinging of other prams such as calcium.

My calcium has been very stable around 450 and doesn't budge much at all.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often, acropora won't show signs of stress until weeks after the stress-event. This <could> be a response to being moved into your tank.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often, acropora won't show signs of stress until weeks after the stress-event. This <could> be a response to being moved into your tank.

So what do people do? It seems like people who keep SPS dominant tanks typically have no problem adding frags without problems like I am having.

What salt are you using?

Red Sea blue bucket

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do people do? It seems like people who keep SPS dominant tanks typically have no problem adding frags without problems like I am having.

Red Sea blue bucket

Ok. Have you done an ICP? If not, I would suggest doing one just to see what else might be in the system. ATI is a good one.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only set I have done, from 12/30/21.

JPEG image.jpeg JPEG image 2.jpeg JPEG image 3.jpeg JPEG image 4.jpeg

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Have you done an ICP? If not, I would suggest doing one just to see what else might be in the system. ATI is a good one.

Posted above.

I think your light is burning them. Try to place them lower until they are adjusted to your tank.

I did lower the light intensity a little bit, the one I first noticed seems to have no more brown algae on tips. Also got my alk to 8.1, hopefully should be down to 7.9 tomorrow. Trying to do it slowly.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red Sea blue bucket
Even the so called "experts" will tell you that they sometimes have trouble adding Acro frags. I always start mine on the bottom of my tank and gradually work them up the rock work.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the so called "experts" will tell you that they sometimes have trouble adding Acro frags. I always start mine on the bottom of my tank and gradually work them up the rock work.

I only did mine in the sandbed for a few days and then on the rock they went. Maybe should have gave them more time. Do you use a frag rack and just move it up little by little? What is your process?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture? Maybe a dumb question but if it's your first try with acros, are you sure the burnt tips aren't just growth?

You said polyp extension isn't what it used to be. Any suspect fish that could be nipping?

Back