Confused conch?

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else seen a conch climb the glass? Mine have always stayed in the sand. I don’t think I’ve seen one on the glass in 9 years being in the hobby. What gives?
IMG_5313.jpeg
 
Anybody else seen a conch climb the glass? Mine have always stayed in the sand. I don’t think I’ve seen one on the glass in 9 years being in the hobby. What gives?
IMG_5313.jpeg
That looks like a nassarius snail I have about 10 of them and they always like to climb the glass and fall off. I don’t know why they do this but I have black ones and white ones and they both do this, very strange.
 
Agree. Doesn’t look like conch

Do you see the eye stalks coming out by that long nose? Does it eat with the nose stalk (that’s actually the mouth)
 
Maybe it is a nassarius. I have both critters in there, though I’m starting to wonder if my conch is still alive now… I had never seen a nassarius that big and just assumed I was looking at my conch. It’s about the size of my whole thumb (I’m 6’3 and have large hands). It stays under the sand 99% of the time and I typically only see them during feeding, after which they retreat back into the depths. But today this one decided to go for a walk up the glass instead of going back under…

IMG_4573.jpeg
 
As already stated, that's not a conch, but I've seen my tiger sand conch climb the glass maybe 3 times in the 3+ years I've had him.
*freaked me out the first time 'cause I never would've believed it
Agree. It’s nassarius

In my 75g I have a fighting conch. I’ve never seen it climb sand or rock

In my 15g, I had a nutrient issue and had a lot of film algae on glass and I noticed my strawberry conch on the glass twice (to my knowledge) over the last 2 years. He only went up a few inches and was munching on the film.

My guess is if they are climbing glass, they are looking for film/food to eat
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new