• 60+%

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone that is losing torches have gobys? I think that was the cause of some of my torch losses in the past. I'd constantly be blowing sand off them. They would be receded after it carpet bombed them with sand. I would come home to similar problems after a couple day trip. No more gobys for my reef tank since. Haven't had any issues and replacedwith sand sifting starfish. I also dose trace elements. I'm not sure if the lack of strontium causes problems. I'd be curious to find out.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I have had similar issues. Last year I lost 15-20 colonies at one time. Within 6-8 week period they all slowly detached and died. I have some theories as to why. I will make a separate post this evening as to why.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone that is losing torches have gobys? I think that was the cause of some of my torch losses in the past. I'd constantly be blowing sand off them. They would be receded after it carpet bombed them with sand. I would come home to similar problems after a couple day trip. No more gobys for my reef tank since. Haven't had any issues and replacedwith sand sifting starfish. I also dose trace elements. I'm not sure if the lack of strontium causes problems. I'd be curious to find out.
I have a goby and Aussie torch in the sand. It’s hanging in there but I can see what you mean by the frequent sand disturbance.

OP
OP
JoshB94

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Bare bottom for me and their off the bottom

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That's strange and scary. Torches are my favorite. The brown jelly that I've had recently was due to me bumping a colony and the weight caused it to fall off the frag and tumble down my scape. It started do die within the week.

I use a turkey baster to suck up the jelly and to keep it from spreading. I cut the bad heads off when there's no hope. I also only cut the hardened part of the branch and never flesh. This doesn't always work, but I've kept it from spreading to my other colonies. Just my process. I heard that dipping in iodine helps too, but I haven't tried yet. I'm definitely watching.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This day and age we all need to be really careful what we introduce to our systems. I’ve learned slow and steady is the best approach when adding new pieces. Also keep the circles small on who you buy from.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back