Considering taking the plunge

Ghotifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I'm pretty close to finally giving saltwater a try. I've been running high and low tech planted tanks for about 15 years, currently a low tech 75 gallon. I've got an empty rimless marineland 60 gallon cube and stand that I'm considering converting to salt. Currently planning on mostly following the BRS 5 minute guide method with hang on filters to start with, probably a Tunze comline filter and skimmer. I have an Eheim Pro4 I could add on but most people seem to think that's not necessary or more maintenance. It seems sort of strange to buy an internal filter when I could hook up a high end cannister...

I would like to do softies and LPS, beyond that not wedded to any other livestock. Could potentially do a Redsea or similar AIO system, but kinda thinking that I should start with what I've got and see if I can really hang with the maintenance regime. Welcome any advice. Thanks all.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

The whole aspect of traditional filters not really being a large part of reef tanks is definitely confusing at first. Beyond running specific media or algae in reactors, external filters are typically phased out entirely as you move from freshwater to saltwater.

Fundamentally it’s about flow and lI’ve rock, that’s your “internal filter”. And then a skimmer to cut down on how much it has to process. There are other ways more advanced reefers can tackle this, but it’s definitely a different mindset.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back