Conspic angel ?

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding a conspic angel to my reef but I dont know how it will interact with my other angels. Will it be alright with my existing regal angel? I dont want to add a fish that will harm my existing fish.
Anyone have advice or experience with them together?

027-5.jpg

suttumlikapimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a buddy with a pair of conspic angels. I'll see if he has anything to say about it.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it!

Get him nice and fat before adding and I think you should be fine. I don't suspect him to be aggressive towards the regal. I know Mark's jocs are oftly rough on new additions though!

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prevailing wisdom is that you shouldn't combine multiple large angels in a tank. That being said, I have done it many, many times in my tanks and have never had a problem. Currently I have an Asfur and a Majestic, and no problems.

It probably depends more on the individuals than any rule of thumb, in my opinion. But I would hate to lose a conspiculatis angel or a regal due to agression, so I would say have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out...

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, Are you willing to part with your large euphyllia colony? I have a friend who got a conspic and for some reason, it could not resist the movement in the water. I'm just sayin' ;)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prevailing wisdom is that you shouldn't combine multiple large angels in a tank.
I would alter that to the things passed around through forums, LFS and uneducated rather than any kind of wisdom - ignorance is bliss! ;)
It probably depends more on the individuals than any rule of thumb, in my opinion.
I agree, although there is A LOT we can do to ensure smoother introduction and transfer. Number one is QT period. It's an opportunity for us to get them fat, healthy and ready for battle! They get used to the kinds of food and times we feed, along with use in general. Their stress levels over time in QT are greatly reduced prior to their introduction in the display. I'm also a firm believer that social acclimation is of HUGE importance and overlooked as much as QT (and the real reasons for it) are in general. After QT once ready for the display, you can put the newcomer in an acclimation container in the display aquarium, so the existing fish can "see" the newcomer and begin establishing their dominance with a "look but don't touch" approach. If the existing fish are going to be outright aggressive towards the newcomer it will become apparent very quickly as they will try to attack the newcomer through the box! Hopefully they don't do this ;) Once they've "seen" each other for a couple/few days I release them into the display while feeding the other fish and carefully watch the interactions that are surely to take place. Cross fingers, and let 'em rock! Of course as 110reef mentioned, it's imperative to have your QT still up and running to pull someone out of harms way if absolutely necessary.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would alter that to the things passed around through forums, lfs and uneducated rather than any kind of wisdom - ignorance is bliss! ;)

i agree, although there is a lot we can do to ensure smoother introduction and transfer. Number one is qt period. It's an opportunity for us to get them fat, healthy and ready for battle! They get used to the kinds of food and times we feed, along with use in general. Their stress levels over time in qt are greatly reduced prior to their introduction in the display. I'm also a firm believer that social acclimation is of huge importance and overlooked as much as qt (and the real reasons for it) are in general. After qt once ready for the display, you can put the newcomer in an acclimation container in the display aquarium, so the existing fish can "see" the newcomer and begin establishing their dominance with a "look but don't touch" approach. If the existing fish are going to be outright aggressive towards the newcomer it will become apparent very quickly as they will try to attack the newcomer through the box! Hopefully they don't do this ;) once they've "seen" each other for a couple/few days i release them into the display while feeding the other fish and carefully watch the interactions that are surely to take place. Cross fingers, and let 'em rock! Of course as 110reef mentioned, it's imperative to have your qt still up and running to pull someone out of harms way if absolutely necessary.

x 1,000,000

OP
OP
Brad Syphus

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, Are you willing to part with your large euphyllia colony? I have a friend who got a conspic and for some reason, it could not resist the movement in the water. I'm just sayin' ;)
REALLY?
I hadn't heard that, but this hammer is larger than a basketball now and I'm starting to wonder what the h#'ll I'm going to do with it anyway.:angel:

Seriously I hadn't heard that about conspics, but I'm sure its a chance you have to take with any angel, you never know what it will like.
Do you think the jocs will be a problem? I've added new wrasses with them and they dont care at all. It might be different with another angel though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back