Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gives with all the contests available to the continental US, and none for your Canadian cousins?

It's really not hard to send stuff across the border, there's no wall..lol just goes in a truck or plane and crosses the border in the same amount of time to send stuff from 1 state to another.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think some businesses with ties in Canada would put contests together on R2R for Canadians to be included, instead of excluded.

Any R2R contest is international so almost everyone, including us Canadians can participate (You have to pay shipping on an item if you win it) and some of the vendor contests have been in the past. I know BRS isn't and I believe they blame it on lottery/tax rules but it's been a while since I've argued with them over it so there might have been a couple other things.

To be fair, some prizes don't make much sense for those outside the US. Especially those that are from coral vendors as shipping across the border would be a terrible idea.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any R2R contest is international so almost everyone, including us Canadians can participate (You have to pay shipping on an item if you win it) and some of the vendor contests have been in the past. I know BRS isn't and I believe they blame it on lottery/tax rules but it's been a while since I've argued with them over it so there might have been a couple other things.
If you read the terms and condition of the contests, lots are not available to Canadian residents, Hawaii, Alaska or PR

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the terms and condition of the contests, lots are not available to Canadian residents, Hawaii, Alaska or PR

I read them all, aside from ones that deal with live goods, cause that would be pointless anyway. And yes lots aren't available to us. All I said is some are... Those that aren't, well I just shop somewhere else or buy from companies that do include us in there contests.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read them all, aside from ones that deal with live goods, cause that would be pointless anyway. And yes lots aren't available to us. All I said is some are... Those that aren't, well I just shop somewhere else or buy from companies that do include us in there contests.
As do I, if they feel the need to not include us, I feel the need to not purchase their product

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as live goods go, they come to Canada some way or another...but zero business that sell live goods in Canada are willing to have Canadian coral/live goods contests.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As do I, if they feel the need to not include us, I feel the need to not purchase their product

Oh and when I said R2R contests I'm referring to the giveaways sponsored by R2R. Not the vendors on R2R. things like the monthly Supporting, yearly Premium membership and toy drive giveaways are available to anyone that has a membership regardless of location in most cases

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and when I said R2R contests I'm referring to the giveaways sponsored by R2R. Not the vendors on R2R. things like the monthly Supporting and yearly Premium membership giveaways are available to anyone that has a membership regardless of location in most cases
100% with you on that, vendor contests are the problem, guess I should have said that, Sorry

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% with you on that, vendor contests are the problem, guess I should have said that, Sorry

No worries, I wasn't sure if you were referring to all or specific ones so I figured I would clarify on my end. I agree though, some of the giveaways that are dry products should be available to Canadians too. I mean, I know we aren't a huge market but we still count

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I wasn't sure if you were referring to all or specific ones so I figured I would clarify on my end. I agree though, some of the giveaways that are dry products should be available to Canadians too. I mean, I know we aren't a huge market but we still count
We do count, I AM CANADIAN
giphy.gif

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would put this here instead of on the giveaway thread. This was Innovative Marines response to my question about why the giveaway wasn't offered to Canadian's.

Screenshot_20200703-110612_Samsung capture.jpg

So given there tanks are so fragile, I'm not sure how they get manufactured in China, shipped across the ocean in a container, then trucked across North America to stores or customers. Pretty sure I can order the same tank and have it delivered to my LFS without issues ;Bored

I then asked if they were so concerned about the fragile state of there aquariums, why are they even manufacturing them in the first place?

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would put this here instead of on the giveaway thread. This was Innovative Marines response to my question about why the giveaway wasn't offered to Canadian's.

Screenshot_20200703-110612_Samsung capture.jpg

So given there tanks are so fragile, I'm not sure how they get manufactured in China, shipped across the ocean in a container, then trucked across North America to stores or customers. Pretty sure I can order the same tank and have it delivered to my LFS without issues ;Bored

I then asked if they were so concerned about the fragile state of there aquariums, why are they even manufacturing them in the first place?
Worst response ever, aquariums should be able to ship anywhere in the world...it's not like all aquariums are made only locally, if that were the case, I wouldn't have one...SMH

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish everyone from all parts of the world could participate in all giveaways and contest, but unfortunately that is not the case. I am sure, if it were possible it would happen, as we at R2R and all vendors and sponsors would love to have all the reefers of the world rewarded for picking up such a great hobby. Their are probably reasons beyond our reach or knowledge that keeps that from happening. :)

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess with live goods the inspection at border control could delay delivery. So a 1 day shipping to Canada would be 2-3 days. 1 day to get to international plane. 1 day to get over border. 1 day to deliver. It does suck wish you could join in also.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand that, but seriously sending dry goods across a border, not chemical or alive, should not be an issue ever IMO.
It's the laws, taxes, tariffs, etc, ect, etc, blah, blah, blah, that get in the way. It is probably laws on both sides that make it hard to ship across the border for some things, I am not sure. The problem is that, lets say something cost 10 dollars US, if its double the cost plus shipping across the border then would you buy it? Honestly, I don't fully understand why it doesn't happen, but I am sure their is a good reason. Businesses are in business to make money, if it made sense then I am sure they would do it.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the laws, taxes, tariffs, etc, ect, etc, blah, blah, blah, that get in the way. It is probably laws on both sides that make it hard to ship across the border for some things, I am not sure. The problem is that, lets say something cost 10 dollars US, if its double the cost plus shipping across the border then would you buy it?
I already do, I live in Canada, and 90% of our products come from the USA or China.

The only thing we make are funny people and delicious bacon, lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back