Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already do, I live in Canada, and 90% of our products come from the USA or China.

The only thing we make are funny people and delicious bacon, lol
You forgot great hockey players, LOL!!!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would put this here instead of on the giveaway thread. This was Innovative Marines response to my question about why the giveaway wasn't offered to Canadian's.

Screenshot_20200703-110612_Samsung capture.jpg

So given there tanks are so fragile, I'm not sure how they get manufactured in China, shipped across the ocean in a container, then trucked across North America to stores or customers. Pretty sure I can order the same tank and have it delivered to my LFS without issues ;Bored

I then asked if they were so concerned about the fragile state of there aquariums, why are they even manufacturing them in the first place?
TIL I started this hobby with fragile tanks. Man, dodged a bullet there!

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess with live goods the inspection at border control could delay delivery. So a 1 day shipping to Canada would be 2-3 days. 1 day to get to international plane. 1 day to get over border. 1 day to deliver. It does suck wish you could join in also.
Live goods, 100 percent understand...dry goods IMO no reason it can't be sent to Canada.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one wants to say this but in 99% of cases it's strictly a cost thing. Why pay $5 to ship something to someone in Canada when you can give it to someone in the US and ship it to them for pennies.

If you look at any website that offers free shipping or discounted shipping it never applies to Canada and the reason that I would assume is the case is shipping companies do not offer discounts to ship products to Canada. Yes companies take a hit offering free shipping, but they would take too big of a hit to ship stuff in Canada.

Free shipping for heavy items just does not exist in Canada unless you are amazon / walmart. Try and buy salt / sand / rock anything aquarium related that doesn't fit in a small box you are likely going to get hit with some kind of overweight charge.

There are not going to be tariffs, taxes (other then to the receiver) and other misc fees on sending a small amount of personal commercial items. Speaking about the BRS thing specifically I always thought it was weird they cannot legally give stuff away to Canadians, but they can employee a Canadian for many of their product reviews. It might sound like I am complaining about this but I'm really not. If I was running a contest to give something away free I wouldn't want to pay the extra money to ship it to the US either. Also for the record I have won something on R2R, but I choose to have it shipped to a US address. Now they would have shipped it to me in Canada if I paid the shipping difference, but pre pandemic it was easier and cheaper for me to go get things in the US since I am near the border. Those days are unfortunately over for the next long while.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one wants to say this but in 99% of cases it's strictly a cost thing. Why pay $5 to ship something to someone in Canada when you can give it to someone in the US and ship it to them for pennies.

If you look at any website that offers free shipping or discounted shipping it never applies to Canada and the reason that I would assume is the case is shipping companies do not offer discounts to ship products to Canada. Yes companies take a hit offering free shipping, but they would take too big of a hit to ship stuff in Canada.

Free shipping for heavy items just does not exist in Canada unless you are amazon / walmart. Try and buy salt / sand / rock anything aquarium related that doesn't fit in a small box you are likely going to get hit with some kind of overweight charge.

There are not going to be tariffs, taxes (other then to the receiver) and other misc fees on sending a small amount of personal commercial items. Speaking about the BRS thing specifically I always thought it was weird they cannot legally give stuff away to Canadians, but they can employee a Canadian for many of their product reviews. It might sound like I am complaining about this but I'm really not. If I was running a contest to give something away free I wouldn't want to pay the extra money to ship it to the US either. Also for the record I have won something on R2R, but I choose to have it shipped to a US address. Now they would have shipped it to me in Canada if I paid the shipping difference, but pre pandemic it was easier and cheaper for me to go get things in the US since I am near the border. Those days are unfortunately over for the next long while.

To me I think the "Free Shipping" excuse is a poor one when it comes to these giveaways and it has been mentioned before in this thread. There's a simple resolution, have the winner pay the shipping. I'd still rather win a $3000+ aquarium and pay $3-400 in shipping than be excluded and not be able to win atall. R2R has no issue including Canadian's and even those members in Europe in there contests so long as the winner is responsible for shipping costs. We are all intelligent enough to realize that shipping across borders has it's costs. And those who are willing to eat those costs and still recieve a prize at a 80-90% discount compared to retail should still be able to participate.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically a contest win wouldn't need to be 'sent across the border', if it's already available up here. The manufacturer could simply instruct their distributor to fill the win and reimburse them.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically a contest win wouldn't need to be 'sent across the border', if it's already available up here. The manufacturer could simply instruct their distributor to fill the win and reimburse them.

I agree, It's not like we live in Narnia, all the dry products offered in most of these giveaways are available here in Canada for purchase. Wouldn't be too hard to do what you're suggesting.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only credible excuse I can possibly think of is lottery tax laws. In Canada it is the responsibility of the company doing the giveaway to cover all lottery taxes on prizes. However it is the responsibility of the winner to cover these costs in the US. I'm not sure what the actual costs are involved with the process but I can only assume a company wouldn't want to cover those costs.

Although if this is the case, why don't they just say that...

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, It's not like we live in Narnia, all the dry products offered in most of these giveaways are available here in Canada for purchase. Wouldn't be too hard to do what you're suggesting.

I live in Narnia, England, I am a free loader because I can't win stuff, still like R2R though. :)

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me I think the "Free Shipping" excuse is a poor one when it comes to these giveaways and it has been mentioned before in this thread. There's a simple resolution, have the winner pay the shipping. I'd still rather win a $3000+ aquarium and pay $3-400 in shipping than be excluded and not be able to win atall. R2R has no issue including Canadian's and even those members in Europe in there contests so long as the winner is responsible for shipping costs. We are all intelligent enough to realize that shipping across borders has it's costs. And those who are willing to eat those costs and still recieve a prize at a 80-90% discount compared to retail should still be able to participate.
100 percent

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would put this here instead of on the giveaway thread. This was Innovative Marines response to my question about why the giveaway wasn't offered to Canadian's.

Screenshot_20200703-110612_Samsung capture.jpg

So given there tanks are so fragile, I'm not sure how they get manufactured in China, shipped across the ocean in a container, then trucked across North America to stores or customers. Pretty sure I can order the same tank and have it delivered to my LFS without issues ;Bored

I then asked if they were so concerned about the fragile state of there aquariums, why are they even manufacturing them in the first place?

That's ridiculous. If that's the case then how do Canadian fish stores have the IM NUVO's? Honestly, they really need to think about their scripted "responses" before scripting them. I know for a fact they sell Nuvo's to Canadian Retailers for cheap. I got one for less than what Americans pay brand new (I got lucky though).

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should be allowed to sell any prizes won to anyone in the usa if we choose that its not a viable thing to ship here.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back