Continual battle with GHA

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried Reeflux, but I have tried Flux RX (which has better availability in the UK). Flux RX didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.
My advice is to be patient and stick with the basics….Manual removal, blackout/reducing light period, less feeding, water changes, CUC, and if you dose anything make sure that you give it a chance to work. Try it for several weeks. Nothing good happens in a tank overnight.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried bottled bacteria? MicroBacter 7 and MicroBacter clean dosed as per instructed on the bottle.... Should see strong results in 2 weeks with the majority of gha gone in 6-8 weeks.

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried bottled bacteria? MicroBacter 7 and MicroBacter clean dosed as per instructed on the bottle.... Should see strong results in 2 weeks with the majority of gha gone in 6-8 weeks.
I haven't yet, but I have started researching MicroBacter. The shop I usually buy from is currently out of stock, so I have time to read up on it.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been there... I had a catastrophic tank failure that may have actually been a blessing because I was loosing the battle. I left the hobby for 4 years and am just getting back. I see this time and again with dry rock starts. Dry rock starts were the gospel in 2018. Not so much anymore, unless you want to be an algae farmer. If I am not helpful, I do sympathize. At least your livestock are doing well, and your floor is dry. It was pretty crushing loading my livestock into tubs and emptying the tank in a hurry. At least I was home to mitigate the disaster. I was able to save everybody and the LFS was willing to accept them as refugees. Hopefully my poem will cheer you up!

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been there... I had a catastrophic tank failure that may have actually been a blessing because I was loosing the battle. I left the hobby for 4 years and am just getting back. I see this time and again with dry rock starts. Dry rock starts were the gospel in 2018. Not so much anymore, unless you want to be an algae farmer. If I am not helpful, I do sympathize. At least your livestock are doing well, and your floor is dry. It was pretty crushing loading my livestock into tubs and emptying the tank in a hurry. At least I was home to mitigate the disaster. I was able to save everybody and the LFS was willing to accept them as refugees. Hopefully my poem will cheer you up!

Thanks, that made me smile :)

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my current plan is to do the following and see where I am after a few months:
  • Reduce my light intensity to peak at 50%, and the spectrum to peak at 20% white.
  • Reduce my lighting period to 7 hours.
  • Change my schedule of cleaning algae. Instead of spending most of a day cleaning all of my rockwork every 3-4 weeks, spend no more than 20 minutes every few days.
  • Run an internal filter when scrubbing rock.
  • Keep running my skimmer and algae scrubber, but run my rowaphos in a media bag instead of a reactor.
  • Put an air pump near my return and run as a bubble scrubber every few days.
If this makes an impact, add some CUC once the tank has a little more of a balance of algae types.

In case anyone is interested, Reef Therapy has an interesting podcast on nuisance algae https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/3587295

OP
OP
J

jakeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tldr: Algae is hopefully under control. It took a lot of manual removal, but also needed a decent CuC and better filtration.

I thought I'd post an update incase anyone reads this. I've been able to keep algae in my tank under control for around a month by spending 5 minutes a week turkey basting the rock work. I'm hoping this means algae is finally under control!

I think these are the main things that helped:
  • Run lights at a fixed intensity of 50% and the spectrum to peak at 25% white, 75% blue.
  • 7 hour photo period.
  • From August 2022 to January 2023, scrub algae off rocks with a toothbrush whenever it started growing. For a long time this meant spending around 30 minutes every other day, but reduced over time.
  • Kept my skimmer, algae scrubber and rowaphos media reactor.
  • Changed filter socks every 2 or 3 days (putting them in the washing machine once a week). This was very tedious, so have recently changed to a roller filter.
  • As the last step, I tried as many different types of snails and urchins as I could (within reason). I then added more of the ones that worked. Once I had a total of around 10-15 I stop needing to scrub the rock. In order on effectiveness these were:
    1. Tuxedo urchin (only have one)
    2. Astraea snail
    3. Tectus (turban) snail
    4. Money cowrie
    5. Turbo (fluctuosa) snail
    6. Trochus snail (I can't keep these alive)
I never bothered with the power scrubber, and only put an air pump near my return (to 'bubble scrub') once or twice.

Here is how the tankis looking now:

IMG20230227174154.jpg

IMG20230228154733.jpg

IMG20230228154235.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back