Continuing RTN

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now going into week 3 of my RTN event. So far have lost 5 colonies and some of the minorly infected peices continue to randomly have a branch loss here and there. So far I have dropped the light intensity 20%, lowered the tank temp 2 degrees, used witch hazel, used tritons rtn-x, small daily water changes, 5% of tank volume, carbon/polyfilters, siphoning out the slime eating bacteria, fragged necrotic peices, and dipped peices. I am highly contemplating going nuclear here and dosing amoxicillin directly into the tank. I am not sure what the impact would be and I still have fish I don't want to kill. Right now I am just letting this run its course but its really getting to me. Years of growth and irreplaceable peices just down the drain. Its been a tough few weeks.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now going into week 3 of my RTN event. So far have lost 5 colonies and some of the minorly infected peices continue to randomly have a branch loss here and there. So far I have dropped the light intensity 20%, lowered the tank temp 2 degrees, used witch hazel, used tritons rtn-x, small daily water changes, 5% of tank volume, carbon/polyfilters, siphoning out the slime eating bacteria, fragged necrotic peices, and dipped peices. I am highly contemplating going nuclear here and dosing amoxicillin directly into the tank. I am not sure what the impact would be and I still have fish I don't want to kill. Right now I am just letting this run its course but its really getting to me. Years of growth and irreplaceable peices just down the drain. Its been a tough few weeks.
So sorry this trouble continues. Have you shipped out an ICP sample yet?

So you are thinking some bacterial pathogen is at work... I dunno an ideal way to selectively kill the baddies.

I guess I would be collecting some frags to move into a backup system somewhere. LFS, fellow reefer. Soak them in a little Lugols before they go.

I am getting a little edgy myself now given a slightly elevated level of frag mortality the past few weeks with no explanation. I beat aefw a little more than 3 months ago, but am seeing frags STN from bottom up. Some of the SPS gang suggested I dose Interceptor.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry this trouble continues. Have you shipped out an ICP sample yet?

So you are thinking some bacterial pathogen is at work... I dunno an ideal way to selectively kill the baddies.

I guess I would be collecting some frags to move into a backup system somewhere. LFS, fellow reefer. Soak them in a little Lugols before they go.

I am getting a little edgy myself now given a slightly elevated level of frag mortality the past few weeks with no explanation. I beat aefw a little more than 3 months ago, but am seeing frags STN from bottom up. Some of the SPS gang suggested I dose Interceptor.

Don't get my started on the ICP stuff. Yes shipped out but they are so slow to get results. Has to be 100% bacterial with they it spreads from one corals
to another.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back