Continuing RTN

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2017
Messages
1,587
Reaction score
818
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now going into week 3 of my RTN event. So far have lost 5 colonies and some of the minorly infected peices continue to randomly have a branch loss here and there. So far I have dropped the light intensity 20%, lowered the tank temp 2 degrees, used witch hazel, used tritons rtn-x, small daily water changes, 5% of tank volume, carbon/polyfilters, siphoning out the slime eating bacteria, fragged necrotic peices, and dipped peices. I am highly contemplating going nuclear here and dosing amoxicillin directly into the tank. I am not sure what the impact would be and I still have fish I don't want to kill. Right now I am just letting this run its course but its really getting to me. Years of growth and irreplaceable peices just down the drain. Its been a tough few weeks.
 
Now going into week 3 of my RTN event. So far have lost 5 colonies and some of the minorly infected peices continue to randomly have a branch loss here and there. So far I have dropped the light intensity 20%, lowered the tank temp 2 degrees, used witch hazel, used tritons rtn-x, small daily water changes, 5% of tank volume, carbon/polyfilters, siphoning out the slime eating bacteria, fragged necrotic peices, and dipped peices. I am highly contemplating going nuclear here and dosing amoxicillin directly into the tank. I am not sure what the impact would be and I still have fish I don't want to kill. Right now I am just letting this run its course but its really getting to me. Years of growth and irreplaceable peices just down the drain. Its been a tough few weeks.
So sorry this trouble continues. Have you shipped out an ICP sample yet?

So you are thinking some bacterial pathogen is at work... I dunno an ideal way to selectively kill the baddies.

I guess I would be collecting some frags to move into a backup system somewhere. LFS, fellow reefer. Soak them in a little Lugols before they go.

I am getting a little edgy myself now given a slightly elevated level of frag mortality the past few weeks with no explanation. I beat aefw a little more than 3 months ago, but am seeing frags STN from bottom up. Some of the SPS gang suggested I dose Interceptor.
 
So sorry this trouble continues. Have you shipped out an ICP sample yet?

So you are thinking some bacterial pathogen is at work... I dunno an ideal way to selectively kill the baddies.

I guess I would be collecting some frags to move into a backup system somewhere. LFS, fellow reefer. Soak them in a little Lugols before they go.

I am getting a little edgy myself now given a slightly elevated level of frag mortality the past few weeks with no explanation. I beat aefw a little more than 3 months ago, but am seeing frags STN from bottom up. Some of the SPS gang suggested I dose Interceptor.

Don't get my started on the ICP stuff. Yes shipped out but they are so slow to get results. Has to be 100% bacterial with they it spreads from one corals
to another.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new