Controllers for Beginners

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello... this thread may already exist, if it does could you please post a link.

Otherwise, not completely new to reefing, but new to controller shopping. Anyone have any good reads to share to help with selection?

I'm currently in a Nuvo Fusion 20, but I'm starting my list of buys for a Reefer 170. Any help with controllers would be most appreciated.

Plan so far is for a mixed reef.
24" 8x24W Dimmable ATI SunPower T5 High-Output Light Fixture w/ Controller
Red Sea Reefer 170

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get different opinions on this topic. I personally use the Archon. I think it is the latest entry form one of the major players. It really depends on what you plan on doing with your controller as to which one will best fit your needs at the moment. Some do have upgrades to their more advanced controllers if you wish to start out with a smaller comtroller and work your way up.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion.

OP
OP

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the idea with forums. Get everyone's opinions and then research them. Preferably find something that can work now and also work later, or be updated to work later.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with Apex as they are the most popular, and have good support.
(plus they are a sponsor on this site)

I have used Profulux (nice but pricey) and Digital Aquatics (Poor support)
and finally switched to The Neptune Apex line and have been quite pleased with it.

Before you buy I would look at the company's past history of support.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Reef Angel on my tank. It is open source so you can program it to do whatever you want. The support is great in my experience. I've had the controller for 6 years, if memory serves.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote apex. Now that Fusion is available it makes it much easier to program and you're able to access it from anywhere and make changes on the fly if needed. I remember one guy made a post where he was out of town and his wife told him there was an issue. They face timed or something like that and he was able to decide the skimmer needed to be shut down and he logged into fusion and shut it off.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote apex. Now that Fusion is available it makes it much easier to program and you're able to access it from anywhere and make changes on the fly if needed. I remember one guy made a post where he was out of town and his wife told him there was an issue. They face timed or something like that and he was able to decide the skimmer needed to be shut down and he logged into fusion and shut it off.
You can do that with the Archon directly. It is completely Web based. All you need is a device with a web browser to connect.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think web access is a nice to have and many have them. That would probably extend beyond the basic controller the OP asked about.

armetas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ReefAngel and I'm happy with it :) reasonable price and a lot of opportunities :)

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank to the OP for posting his question.
I myself am looking for a controller to outfit my upcoming PA 150 build and haven't the foggiest idea as tto what controllers are out there, much less which one I should choose over the other and why.

Question regarding the Reef Angel.
Is theee a pkg offered, of must all assorted sensors and modules be ourchased seperatly?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like all, you need to buy the basic setup and then buy the modules you want to add to it. The Reef Angel comes with the head unit, power module (8 outlets), ATO inputs, dimming outputs (select PWM or analog), a pH probe and a temperature probe. That's all you need to get started. You can buy addons for Wifi, dosing, etc.

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef angel in the past and have since switched to apex. Reed angel is great for a more DIY experience. If you're looking for something simple and pretty easy to use, apex is great.

Either will work, you just need to put more time into understanding the reef angle programming and construction. Apex can be as easy or intense as you want to make it.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reef angel in the past and have since switched to apex. Reed angel is great for a more DIY experience. If you're looking for something simple and pretty easy to use, apex is great.

Either will work, you just need to put more time into understanding the reef angle programming and construction. Apex can be as easy or intense as you want to make it.
They've made it pretty simple now with a wizard that will do the programming for you, if you want. It is true though that a RA is really more geared towards people who like to tinker.

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've made it pretty simple now with a wizard that will do the programming for you, if you want. It is true though that a RA is really more geared towards people who like to tinker.

True, the wizard does make the system easier to set-up. The community support is also phenomenal. It's all a matter of preference. I wound up making the switch based on features, time to play with the system and a mechanical issue with my controller. Both systems work very well though.

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex. I have the Jr and have had great support from them. Recently discovered a bug in the PM1 controller setup and they got me alpha code within a couple days and it's been running flawlessly since. The PH probe was randomly disabling itself with a huge offset #. If I can't get an upgrade for the module limit, or order just the controller for the Standard kit, then I'll be ordering a complete kit. If you're interested in the Jr controller with the Standard components let me know. We can work something out.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex. I have the Jr and have had great support from them. Recently discovered a bug in the PM1 controller setup and they got me alpha code within a couple days and it's been running flawlessly since. The PH probe was randomly disabling itself with a huge offset #. If I can't get an upgrade for the module limit, or order just the controller for the Standard kit, then I'll be ordering a complete kit. If you're interested in the Jr controller with the Standard components let me know. We can work something out.

Being ignorant to the avail controllers as well as the indepth functions, could the Apex Jr be upgraded ( different add on probes and modules ) as my tanks needs arise, or will I have to purchase a New lite, or Gold?
Will it run wireless?

Can you PM me your asking price?

Ryengoth

I wish I was in St John USVI
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Support just told me no. Boo. I'll have to order the Standard controller to increase the limit (7 on Apex Jr).
I added a WAV kit and it takes up 3 "modules" since each wave motor is a "module" and the 1LINK controller is a "module".

I'd first decide what probes you would like to run (ph, orp, temp (more than 1?), cond, etc) and also what devices you want to turn on/off to get a plug count. I can tell you which model will fit best based on that. ORP is a waste of money IMHO. PH is finicky enough since all of the probes use porous glass and a gel bulb. Get slime on it and it'll fade in response and level.

There is an app for your smartphone that allows control of all modules and visibility of the probe statuses. It works pretty well from my experience. My Apex is on the web so I have remote access either way. You can also use the Apex Fusion web portal to make changes and monitor. The WAV motors can only be configured from Apex Fusion, actually. There is no wave pattern support in the current on-board web application.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have no use for ORP at this time, I would only be interested in PH, Temp and salinity.
As for plugs, it would need atleast 10.
Wireless is a big deal for me as I have no intentions of running new wiring through the walls.

As an aside, would it be less costly if I just purchased a new controller ( insert brand ) as opposed to having to purchase additional probes, power boxes and what not?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any that have 10 plugs without buying extras. Wireless in this case is for controlling it from your phone. Not wireless power.

Back