Controllers

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not nor have ever had a controller on any of my tanks. So I come with open ears looking for individuals opinions on what out there. The obvious one being Apex, I hear people like it, and I hear the best place for one is in the trash can.

Let’s say taking what you know now, if given the opportunity to set up a brand new system, what would you do?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Coralvue Hydros XP8 and control X3. I haven't had any other controller to personally compare it to. I have no complaints and it has worked without any issues.

Check out this recent thread

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't go wrong with either of them. Figure out what you want to control today as well as the future. Cost wise, it's better to get the more expensive package for either system upfront than adding on. I went with regular Apex since I do not care about testing salinity or ORP. A lot of what I control is through the power bar. If that is all you need, then a few smart power strips may work for you.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not nor have ever had a controller on any of my tanks. So I come with open ears looking for individuals opinions on what out there. The obvious one being Apex, I hear people like it, and I hear the best place for one is in the trash can.

Let’s say taking what you know now, if given the opportunity to set up a brand new system, what would you do?
LOL, I tend to agree. I have an Apex. It's definitely a love/hate relationship. When things suddenly go wrong, you want to drop kick it.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have and have had GHL controllers for years. While GHL isn't the cheapest and it has a bit of a learning curve they are built for LONGEVITY and RELIABLITY. When you're literally putting the Life Support of your system into the controller you should not cut corners or try to save a few dollars.

Why do I say that? My current tank is running a GHL Profiliux I bought 2nd hand on RC classifieds 14 years ago. It was a "Profilix 2" and was upgraded to the P3 and then P3EX (I think that designation is right). I have recently ( just 2 weeks ago) replaced it with a Profilux Mini simply because that tank no longer needs anything but Lights, Return Pump, and Heater control (it's converted to Fresh Water). I may move the P3 over to my next tank which I'm in the process of researching as it will be full REEF.

The fact that the GHL Profilux is Modular, very robust, and insanely expandable it ends up being a great "investment" in your Water Containment System.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned apex jr and apex EL, I currently own hydros, and I have a GHL doser. The below is just my opinion, none of them have failed on me.

Apex: been around for a long time, lots of 3rd party support. I like the way apex fusion looks but found it unreliable after power outages. I often had to re-flash the firmware. This was several years ago so it might be better. I have also fixed several EB832 for people in my area. Programming is easy once you understand the basics.

Hydros: I have had it for about 6 months.
Easy to use, I like the app and find it loads quick at home or away. It’s newish to the scene so there is a lack of 3rd party options, will get better with time. I can’t think of anything I really dislike about hydros yet.

GHL doser set up for AWC. Build quality is higher then other two. App does have a learning curve. I feel if you go all in on GHL it would be a great system. When power goes out, I have trouble reconnecting to it through my router and have to connect via the GHL hotspot then re connect it to my home WiFi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back